Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha gang, looks like this product is pretty sweet. But need someone folks opinion that have had it oon their car for a while. Does it last? Chipping, fading etc?

http://www.dipyourcar.com/

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
I've used it twice. Once in the motorhome after I left a can of frozen orange juice in the frige over the winter. The fumes ate the chrome off the shelves. (And we drink this ****) I plasti-dipped them and they've been fine for the last 5 years with food, jars and everything sliding over them.

On my last car I used it on the chrome wheels. I wanted to see if I would like black and chrome. I taped the wheels off and sprayed Plasti-dip over the spokes. After about two years it was still on there and holding just fine. I peeled it off in about 5 minutes per wheel with no ill effects. It didn't appear to be chipped at all and it did dull some after two years but when I used tire shine on the tires i just wiped the rims with the rag and it looked as new again. I would imagine that a detail spray would make it stay fresh on a car.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've used it twice. Once in the motorhome after I left a can of frozen orange juice in the frige over the winter. The fumes ate the chrome off the shelves. (And we drink this ****) I plasti-dipped them and they've been fine for the last 5 years with food, jars and everything sliding over them.

On my last car I used it on the chrome wheels. I wanted to see if I would like black and chrome. I taped the wheels off and sprayed Plasti-dip over the spokes. After about two years it was still on there and holding just fine. I peeled it off in about 5 minutes per wheel with no ill effects. It didn't appear to be chipped at all and it did dull some after two years but when I used tire shine on the tires i just wiped the rims with the rag and it looked as new again. I would imagine that a detail spray would make it stay fresh on a car.
Do you have any pics to post here of those dipped chrome wheels? Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Plasti Dip Works Excellent

The only experience I have had with plasti dip was when a friend decided to have his wheels plasti diped on his Subie. Soon after my brother discovered this simple, easy, and inexpensive mod my bro decides to do the same on his Honda S2000, which I helped in the process totally doubting that the end result would be anywhere near satisfactory level. But surprisingly it was an amazing mod!!! It has been on for almost about a year now and still NO wears, tears, scratches, or fading. We only applied 4 coats of the plasti dip and it sticks on to the wheels really well. Even through car washes or high pressure washes! The durability and quality amazes me even till this day that it has hung on so well to the wheels. I am actually considering to plasti diping the wheels of the vette! I believe this mod will actually give the vette an aggressive stance without the bad quality involved, of course after I lower it a bit to fit the whole look. So from my experience and opinion, I'd say by all means go for it! It looks great holds up really well and is insanely cheap for the overall look and quality. Oh and did I forget to mention my bro drives ridiculously rough and hard with that 4 banger:rolling: and still no signs of wear, tear, or scratches, it's like the plasti dip looks exactly the same as day 1 and I am not exaggerating with this at all! (by the way just kidding No disrespect meant to the S2K, obviously a great car). :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got a bit crazy about 2 weeks ago and pulled my polished Z16 Wheels and painted the barrels with Plasti-dip black. Very nice results and a breeze to clean up over spray. Polished against the black is a nice combo.:agree:

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Got a bit crazy about 2 weeks ago and pulled my polished Z16 Wheels and painted the barrels with Plasti-dip black. Very nice results and a breeze to clean up over spray. Polished against the black is a nice combo.:agree:
Any pictures?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I know plasti-dip is light weight but, by spraying your rims does anybody know if it will throw off you wheel balance?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Well if you're like me a bought at Discount Tire just take it in and get them rebalanced for free.
I never thought of that. I got mine at town fair tire, I'm pretty sure they do re balance for free? Thanks for the heads up.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts

·
Banned
7,823 Posts
home depot

1 - 20 of 20 Posts