Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Talk about beating a dead horse:laughing:

Here's the deal, I have an LS1 in my car with long tube headers full 3" exhaust, X-pipe with 3" random tech cats and Magnaflow mufflers. I ran the car for the first year having the car together with that same exhaust but no mufflers. Other than being loud, really really LOUD, I just loved that exhaust but after having some discussions with the local PD (oops:lookinup::D) I took it upon myself to add the mufflers.:laughing:

Now I get a HUGE resonance problem at 1800-2000 RPMs. A sound that wasn't ever there without the mufflers.

So let's talk about this. Does the engine matter to the sound of the exhaust from TPI to LTX to LSX or is it more based on the componets of said engine?

Can I take advise from an LTX car owner and will that apply to my LSX for sound?

What are you guys running for exhaust on your cars and what do you like/ not like about it? Please include your engine and what has been done to it.

Thanks.

My set up is LS1 with a cam, ported throttle body, tune and the aformentioned exhaust.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Doesn't the LS engines have a different firing order? Maybe that has something to do with it.
Dual 3" pipes sounds like alittle overkill, doesn't it? Have you thought of adding a x pipe?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I think your asking what makes a Chevy sound like a Chevy and what makes a ford sound like a ford

I think it's all in the cam,heads,exhaust ports as well as Compression ratio

Because Some ford owners and some Chevy owners run magnaflow exhausts yet they do not sound the same

If I was you raid I would hunt down a new exhaust B&B Bullets or SLP loudmouth exhaust

As for myself I plan to add compression, a camshaft in order to Capture that old muscle car sound:nuts:
Untuned/uncorked

·
Premium Member
10,489 Posts
the 1800-2000 resonance is a C4 thing

L98, LT1, LT4, LT5, LS1 (now)

I am curious, your mufflers have 4 tips right? 2 each? did the exhaust before have that?

I found single outlet mufflers help, if you do a X-pipe, add a set of small bullet mufflers after the X-pipe.

if you have the 4 tips, add the Z06 Flappers to open at WOT to one tip on each side

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the 1800-2000 resonance is a C4 thing

L98, LT1, LT4, LT5, LS1 (now)

I am curious, your mufflers have 4 tips right? 2 each? did the exhaust before have that?

I found single outlet mufflers help, if you do a X-pipe, add a set of small bullet mufflers after the X-pipe.

if you have the 4 tips, add the Z06 Flappers to open at WOT to one tip on each side
Yes I have an X pipe (I'll add that to the first post, forgot about it) The mufflers have 4 tips but the eliminators I had on there before had 4 tips as well. I'll try something to block off 2 of the tips and see if that helps.
It's been so long since I had mufflers on the car I don't recall the resonance issue if it had one.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't the LS engines have a different firing order? Maybe that has something to do with it.
Dual 3" pipes sounds like alittle overkill, doesn't it? Have you thought of adding a x pipe?
Yes it's different, I'm not so concerned about the sound difference it sounds great I'm more wondering about the resonance. I've had the exhaust on the car from back when I had the L-98 in it and my tuner was comfortable with it being full 3" so I don't feel it's too big.

·
Premium Member
10,489 Posts
Yes I have an X pipe (I'll add that to the first post, forgot about it) The mufflers have 4 tips but the eliminators I had on there before had 4 tips as well. I'll try something to block off 2 of the tips and see if that helps.
It's been so long since I had mufflers on the car I don't recall the resonance issue if it had one.
get the plugs from HD, int he plumbing area, for a temporary test they will work

you eliminators had a 'U' at the end and no big can to split the exhaust in it

let me know how plugging each side does..

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Sorry but Im with Bonne on this one! I have the 3" melrose exhaust with randomtech cats and NO mufflers...

I say "Eff" the police and do what sounds awesome. Mufflers are just a waste of weight and tarnish a very beautiful sound :D

Raid you will understand this because you have / had the melrose system.

I PERSONALY think my car sounded BEST when I only had the melrose system installed and had it dumped (turned down) At the rear (where the melrose system ends) Almost sounded like a nascar... Wish I could have kept it but it looked hideous...

Heres a pic of the car with the turn downs.... Yuck.

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
You can always try a resonator box tossed in line somewhere in your exhaust piping. They even make resonator x-pipes and resonators that go right after the x-pipe.

cross section

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Resonation is pure exhaust

Suggestion: If thats all your looking to get rid of

Change your exhaust system

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I'm running a custom set up
Stock headers 3 inch front y into 3 inch center with no cat back to 3 inch rear y into a set of magnaflows. Had the same resonance. I had a 2 inch (i think) cross pipe run from the back y pieces and then added dyna mat to my rear deck and behind the seats under the carpet. It's not all gone but the cross pipe and dyna mat made a huge impact.

·
Registered
515 Posts
When I drove my car on the street it had TPiS headers, duel 3" exhaust, and LT1 mufflers. I had cutouts under the diff to by pass the mufflers for racing. I sometimes would drive on the street with it open and never had resonance with either system.

I would agree that some type of bullet muffler somewhere in the system would help. Much like the resonator box pictured, something with a straight through design, and packing on the outside.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry but Im with Bonne on this one! I have the 3" melrose exhaust with randomtech cats and NO mufflers...

I say "Eff" the police and do what sounds awesome. Mufflers are just a waste of weight and tarnish a very beautiful sound :D

Raid you will understand this because you have / had the melrose system.

I PERSONALY think my car sounded BEST when I only had the melrose system installed and had it dumped (turned down) At the rear (where the melrose system ends) Almost sounded like a nascar... Wish I could have kept it but it looked hideous...

]
Yea there wasn't an issue as far as the sound, it sounded great but I'm not one to push my luck to far and after having a few discussions with the boys in blue it was the best thing to do. Plus at WOT it was TOOOOO LOUD, every cop in a 5 mile radius knew I was there.:laughing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts