Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off bros', Happy Memorial Day :thumbsup: for those of us that went through the maze of 'hurry up and wait' :laughing:
You know I 've had that problem with my rear diff , she's still weeping a little but I'm keeping my eye on 'er . Went up under to ckeck the diff fluid and lifted with floor jacks, everything is cool but when I set 'er down of course, my two rears tires had that inner bow. When dropped she set high at first, but when I back out of my garage I thought my two rears tires where suppose to align themselves right :huh: Well been driving for about 2 days, and today saw the mrs. pulling out of a parking lot, got her attention and switched vehicles and I followed her driving the vette. That's when I noticed my rear left tire had about a 10-degree slant from the top-down. Yeah, I was pissed. Ran 'er up to my tire place to throw 'er on the rack and see what was up. I'm thinking tire rod, bushings, spring, a lot of *&%# bucks out of my wallet :thud: An alignment was put on 'er an she was okay,,,, until I drove home and the slant is back :WTF !!!! Any thoughts, I'm not starting the summer like this :crazy:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
First off bros', Happy Memorial's Day :thumbsup: for those of us that went through the maze of 'hurry up and wait' :laughing:
You know I 've had that problem with my rear diff , she's still weeping a little but I'm keeping my eye on 'er . Went up under to ckeck the diff fluid and lifted with floor jacks, everything is cool but when I set 'er down of course, my two rears tires had that inner bow. When dropped she set high at first, but when I back out of my garage I thought my two rears tires where suppose to align themselves right :huh: Well been driving for about 2 days, and today saw the mrs. pulling out of a parking lot, got her attention and switched vehicles and I followed her driving the vette. That's when I noticed my rear left tire had about a 10-degree slant from the top-down. Yeah, I was pissed. Ran 'er up to my tire place to throw 'er on the rack and see what was up. I'm thinking tire rod, bushings, spring, a lot of *&%# bucks out of my wallet :thud: An alignment was put on 'er an she was okay,,,, until I drove home and the slant is back :WTF !!!! Any thoughts, I'm not starting the summer like this :crazy:
First thing I would check is grab the tire at 6 and 12 and rock/feel for play.
Check the radius arm bushings/ yoke play/ u-joints/ cracked spring/ uneven bolt adjustment.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
I agree, you need to check for three possible cause of this problem:

1. bad bushings on the struts (from the knuckle to the diff mount)
2. bad clips on the diff/side yokes
3. bad wheel bearing

You will have to jack it up and give everything a yank with a helper to spot any excessive movement in these items.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Do you perchance have adjustable strut rods? The lock nuts do come loose occasionaly, letting them come out of adjustment.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I lifted the left rear side today and pulled and moved the tire and felt a very slight sensation. It gave j-u-s-t a little, like a lug nut could have been loose, but all were tight. Went under and eye-balled everything the bushings looked good and didn't feel any play with the tire rod (if I could ) so I'm still baffled :huh: I put a level on my right rear and the bubble is dead center, but on my left that bubble kicks all the way to the left.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you perchance have adjustable strut rods? The lock nuts do come loose occasionaly, letting them come out of adjustment.
Not sure if I do, I'm going to go back in the morning and put er' back on a rack and find out :thumbsup:.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts