Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a tire that's been in the garage since early 99 still ok? It looks ok, but I hear scary stories about "dry rot".

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Hmm.... I think it takes more than 4 years to dry rot. It would make sense that dry rot would occur as the rubber dries out over time... but I don't think that's anywhere near enough time. But, also new tires don't get hard and dry as older tire technology.

That's my guess.;)

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
if the sidewall has thousands of tiny cracks i would not use them.maybe your local tire guy can take a look at it?

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,549 Posts
Was it exposed to direct sunlight? The uv rays can damage a tire but a 4 year old tire is not that old

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's BFG Radial. IN 99 I discovered that the 260 won't fit the spare carrier, but a 235 will. So I replaced the fronts and spare with new 235's and did some swapping around because of overall wear. I discarded two and ended up with an extra 260. Now I have reason to replace my left rear, and want to use that tire I kept from 99. It's been in my back yard barn all this time.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,549 Posts
Smoking the tires a little huh? I'd clean it up and look for obvious defects. If it looks okay have it mounted and inflated to about 15psi and lookk for cracks, if okay inflate to 40psi and look again. If all's okay deflate to correct pressure and run it. The tire might be a little hard at first and not give the tracktion it should but should soften up as you drive. You will need to watch it occasionally since it is not new.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Torch Red 2K said:
Smoking the tires a little huh? I'd clean it up and look for obvious defects. If it looks okay have it mounted and inflated to about 15psi and lookk for cracks, if okay inflate to 40psi and look again. If all's okay deflate to correct pressure and run it. The tire might be a little hard at first and not give the tracktion it should but should soften up as you drive. You will need to watch it occasionally since it is not new.
That sounds like a reasonable plan:cheers: Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
biltogo said:
Is a tire that's been in the garage since early 99 still ok? It looks ok, but I hear scary stories about "dry rot".
do not screw around,life is to inportance.if you have to ask,change them:D :partyon: :buhbye:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts