Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally getting around to my nonintercooled maggie install and thought I'd share. Finally got the new harmonic balancer put in and the rack back in:

Relocated the oil pressure sensor and made a short extension for my catch can to clear the tensioner:

I had pulled the intake a couple of months ago to sell and never covered the intake ports on the head. Here's what I found today when I started cleaning the surface:

That there is poison for mice and rats. Apparently it didn't kill them soon enough. I just hope like hell I don't get a surprise when I start the air conditioner for the first time. I've got a little dewalt handheld shopvac so I used a straw on the end of the hose to get it out:

I've got electrical components on the way so hopefully by next weekend I'll be wrapping it up. Here's the blower:

I'm running E85 in the car so I'm looking forward to how it'll perform. Today I got the blower set on the motor. Had to pull the custom rear belt cover though, no way it's gonna clear the hood. I think with a little revamping it'll go back on.

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
You're going to love the increase in power from the maggie. I know from experience. :devil:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're going to love the increase in power from the maggie. I know from experience. :devil:
From the way it looks I think we're gonna have matching cars. I've got the Caravaggio hood going on mine as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the driver's side of the blower there is a barb sticking up (right in the middle of photo below). Someone mind telling me what this is?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm no expert but looks like a vacuum nipple for your boost gauge.
That's what it's gonna get used for. :thumbsup: Picked up some vac hose and reducer to hook up the sensor.

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
From the way it looks I think we're gonna have matching cars. I've got the Caravaggio hood going on mine as well.
I love the fit and finish that the Caravaggio hood has. Great piece and much lighter than stock. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got a package from Magnuson this weekend so I got back at it:

Had a few headaches to deal with but nothing major. Top bolt hole on the snout was striped part way so I had to get a longer bolt to mount the throttle body. Due to how the Blackwing intake is configured it made the assembly too long. In the end I trimmed about 1/2" off the snout of the intake to have a proper fit. Finished up the passenger side as well with new plugs.

Wiring is about all I have left. On the drivers side I put in the AIT sensor and got the boost and fuel sensors in place. Used a fitting and short length of hose for the fuel sensor (to allow clearance for FRC) and a vacuum hose with a reducer for the boost.

Biggest job left is to put this in:

Had to sand the opening a bit because the gauge was a bit too big but other than that I think it'll work quite well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I got rained out so I had a chance to do a little more work on the car. Got the AIT sensor wiring done, extended the throttle body motor wiring (seemed a tad short to me), and redid the plumbing for the fuel pressure sensor. Put in new plugs on the drivers side and finished hooking everything up there. I'm down to just getting the gauge installed and routing the oil pressure sensor harness. And here's a couple more pics:

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
looks great....love the polished ribs and black casing

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
looks great....love the polished ribs and black casing
Thanks. It started out like this:

I had considered sending it out for a full polish but that was close to 1K. My BIL's father does a lot of custom hot rod work and did it for me for a cool 300 bucks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm getting ready to run my gauge wires, gonna put them through the firewall above the dead pedal. From there I was thinking I'd put it in loom, run it up to the brake booster, and then ziptie it to the hose to run it over to the motor. Anyone else run wiring this way? Seems to me there would be less risk to the wiring this way compared to trying to run it behind the motor, headers run awfully close. On a side note I mounted my gauge button in the pod itself. Drilled a hole, put in a grommet and then put the button in after shooting it with a little black paint. Turned out real nice. I'll put up a few more pics when I get things in place.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Nice, results?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice, results?
Not yet. I got sidelined for awhile. Just finished up chopping about 90 acres of forage for the next year. I'll have some time this week to get back at it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tomorrow is the big day, I'm gonna start it up for the first time. Finished the install today (except for hood). Soldered in the power line for the gauge with the stereo power line off of the steering column:

Drilled a small hole in the firewall just above the dead pedal to run the wiring:

And finally got the gauge mounted:

Instead of drilling a hole in the knee bolster I shot the button with a little black paint and used a grommet to mount it above the gauge.

In the next week or two I'm gonna try and get an appointment to have it tuned by Ron at Pro Dynotech in Indiana. Right now I make 442rwhp/431rwtq with the following mods:

Vinci XXX cam 222/228 .551/.551 115LSA
Harland Sharp 1.8 roller rockers
Stock 241 heads ported by Mike Stark at Creative Flow Management
Texas Speed long tube header and midsection, no cat, Corsa exhaust
Blackwing intake and ported thottlebody
Tuned for E85 by Pro Dynotech

So, what's it gonna make with a 3.4 pulley and chugging moonshine? :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My SPA gauge has a low pressure warning alarm. What should I set it at? Just driving around it sit between 57 and 60 which I know is normal but am unsure where and when I should start to worry. Also, what should I be seeing on boost? Just driving it shows negatives which I assume is vacuum. Where should it be? I'm getting anywhere from -7 to -11 on downshifts. Just wanna make sure I'm calibrated correctly. I don't think I'm gonna be in a rush to get the hood on just yet, pretty cool driving along and seeing the blower out front.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dropped my Caravaggio hood off at the local body shop to be painted yesterday so I'm hoping next week I can make the trip for a tune. Mocked up my passenger side FRC, overflow tank and fender covers.

Car and engine bay need a good wash but on a whole I'd say it's looking pretty good. Gonna have to shim my catch can out a bit with a washer to prevent any rubbing and had to bend the dipstick but besides that I'm good.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts