Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the hardest things imaginable for a parent is making the phone call to your only child, and saying goodbye - that I wasn't likely to make it out of this one.

And, you have but a few minutes to get the words out that'll he'll remember for the rest of his life.

As we were flying through Iowa in the blackness of night, the lightning filled the sky like it was daylight.

Then it stared to rain, then it came down like you were driving under a waterfall. The GPS said next exit was 2.6 miles away... if we can find it.

WHAT IS THAT SOUND? Tornado sirens.

We stop at the only gas station in town, the attendant is screaming at us to get inside right now. We go inside to see a gas station with people packed in the bathrooms, sitting on the floor.

Either folks were on their cell phones saying goodbye to their family, or they were looking outside to see the half-mile wide twister that was going to end their lives.

There was no basement.

The view out the window is that of the DC Z and DC C6 in what were like hurricane conditions.

The tornado lifted at I-80, where we got off... which is about an 1/8th mile from where we were at the gas station. It was headed directly for us.

People were terrified in there. The weather photo is from a TV at the motel we found to ride out the storm. Raidmagic, nor Dan85, nor myself slept a wink that night. The storm was relentless.

15 tornadoes touched down that night in our area.

We got there in the middle of it, folks said the air raid siren had been going off non stop for an hour straight.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Sounds like the riskiest portion of your 5000 mile journey was unrelated to the race. Glad you guys made it out unscathed; from the news reports, some were not so fortunate.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Damn,sounds like something out of a horror story:thud:
Glad everyone's okay:thumbsup:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thats a helluva story, glad you guys are safe. After what has happened in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Eastern Colorado this month you can't help but respect the power of those twisters...

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
WOW! Thank God your all safe. That close....SCARY, VERY SCARY.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,524 Posts
Kicked Death's ass AGAIN

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
:surprised :surprised

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I'm not sure that I have ever been that scared in my life. All I could think of was "I'm gonna die in a bathroom in Iowa.":laughing:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not sure that I have ever been that scared in my life. All I could think of was "I'm gonna die in a bathroom in Iowa.":laughing:
Let's be more specific.... "I'm gonna die sitting on the floor in a stall in a woman's bathroom in Iowa, next to a man and a girl clutching a dog." :laughing:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
With the roll cage and what not in the DCZ - I would have waited out the storm in that....:laughing:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Dan and Patrick did ask what the policy was for getting free beef jerky if the storm took the roof off the building.:laughing:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts