Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Today, my 87 Coupe started fine and I drove to a couple of places. As I left the pharmacy, going about 20 mph, the engine died. So, I shifted into neutral (auto tranny) and started the car. It started right away but the Service Engine Soon lighted up.

The car functioned OK but the light did not go out. So, when I got home I shut the engine, jumped terminals A & B in the ALDL to see if there were any codes stored. The code I got was 33 which means something wrong in the MAF sensor circuit. All connectors were tight at the relays and the MAF sensor. I removed the MAF connector anyway and sprayed contact cleaner at both ends, let them dry and reconnected them.

Started the car and it would not idle unless I kept the engine at about 1,200 RPMs for 30 seconds or so, then it idled at 600-700 RPMs. I noticed the engine surging at these RPMs.

Can it be the burn-off relay or the power relay? Or is it the MAF sensor gone bad? The sensor and the relays were replaced on 7/31/2001 and the ECM on 03/14/2003. The IAC was replaced three weeks ago, when I cleaned the Throttle Body. The TPS was adjusted at .54 v.

Any advise will be appreciated.

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
Sorry to hear it's not running well. Check the spark plug wires too. I had a melted wire and got the code 33 more often as the wire got worse. I've also had code 33 come on b/c of the relays so yes, that could be it. I tried to clear my 33 by installing a new MAF twice and it didn't work. Figures, it has to be one of the most expensive electronic parts to buy too. :( Now I have 2 spare MAF sensors and I'm still using the one that came w/ the car. I'd replace the MAF last.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yeah, I'd try the relays first, and as a last resort swap out the MAF. Relays are cheap, MAFs are not all that cheap by comparison. I had the same issue as you, but unfortunately for me it was the MAF ( I swapped mine with a friends car to find the problem).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts