Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's about time for "Open Road Racing 2004 " to begin.

In about 90 days (give or take a few days) we will be running the 1st race of the year , the Big Bend Open Road Race out of Fort Stockton, Texas. Their website is http://www.bborr.com/ , go look at it & take a look at their bulletin board for lots of very interesting information.

If you are an experienced racer ... no problem ... you've got lots of time (except for room reservations) ... but if your a "rookie" (and we all were "rookies" at some point , I sometimes think I'm still one) ... it's time to begin to understand the details of this sport, and that takes a little time, and a little training ... our LSCC Team will provide both the details & any training that you may want. Heck we'll even share our beer with you.

If you would like to find out more about joining us LSCC @ the Big Bend Race (or any other races), please contact me at [email protected] & I'll get you on to the email list that we use to communicate with each other. By the way if you are on the list an would like to be removed, please let me know that too & we will remove you from the list (and bomb your vette- joke, just a little joke :)).

You know you've been telling yourself "that you ought to get off the couch and try this" or "that sounds like fun" or "I can do that" - well come join us ... everyone is welcome and we're gonna have another great year in 2004.

Lone Star Corvette Club Open Road Racing Team :seeya :excited:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
I just spent a good 20 minutes reading all of that stuff. I'll read it again after I have coffee.

This looks like FUN... and could be my vacation....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Patrick ... this truely is as fun as you think & relatively safe for racing ... we have at least 2 people that come to it every year from up in your area ... if you really decide to go, let me know & I'll call you & help you get what you need to be competative (like watches / course notes / clipboard, etc.) ... anyone that wants to race, can race, if in a safe vehicle .. the lowest class is 85 MPH and a guy in a rented 6 cylinder Mustang won it & a fellow in a handicap van beat me in the 100 mph class 3 years ago.

:laughing: :buhbye: :excited: :cheers:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Don&Kelly said:
Patrick ... this truely is as fun as you think & relatively safe for racing ... we have at least 2 people that come to it every year from up in your area ... if you really decide to go, let me know & I'll call you & help you get what you need to be competative (like watches / course notes / clipboard, etc.) ... anyone that wants to race, can race, if in a safe vehicle .. the lowest class is 85 MPH and a guy in a rented 6 cylinder Mustang won it & a fellow in a handicap van beat me in the 100 mph class 3 years ago.

:laughing: :buhbye: :excited: :cheers:
Thanks for the info!

Just one question first, do I pick my class or do they? I need to know that so I understand what I need. This even looks sweet, I love safe high-speed driving.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patrick - 3 things decide what speed class you run in :
1. Your racing experience
2. Your vehicle - whether you have the required safety equiptment installed.
3. The speed you & your navigator are comfortable driving at for 97 miles.

1st Time racers can only race in certain classes & must attend a short drivers school put on by the Race Organizers - we all went thru it the first time we showed up for our 1st Open Road Race.

But like in a corvette with new tires ... you can run in the 110 mph class with just a helmet, fractory seat belts, gloves, fire extinguisher, and a couple of other things .

In the 110 class , you can go as fast as 124 mph & as slow as 85 mph w/o being disqualified .. if you slow to 85 mph on a curve, then you must speed up to 124 mph for the same length of time so that you average 110 mph for the whole 97 miles - we leave 1 minute apart & the one with the most correct time / speed wins.

:thumbsup: :partyon: :excited: :cheers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don, you folks are a class act!!

Last year's event was awesome, this one promises to be even better!

Greg

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GTB:

Thanks for the comment ... this just keeps getting better every year , by the way there are several very good races close to you .. let me know if you want the web sites ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts