Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my good family friends have all porsches, 08 boxster limited edition, and a cayman S. So we were hanging out the other day and discussing cars and well my opinion on porsches being Do it yourself friendly is a big fat negative.

You cant view your engine unless you take apart half the car or you drop it out of the car.

the car is slow and to get it moving you need to rev it above 4k which resulted in his MPG reading being 10-12

meanwhile driving my z06 all day i was getting 19-26 mpg mix between highway and brooklyn streets

Then he asked my assistiance in dropping one side of the muffler down to put on a y pipe.

so i go searching on forums... impossible to find any info on how to do anything yourself. So were going to be doing it blind. While that is not a problem, I prefer to read about it first.

To top this... they paid what I paid if not more for my Certified used z06 with 3k miles on it.

I always loved the turbos, gt3, etc; but in my opinion... im staying away !

on top of it they treat these cars like their god... I daily drive my z06...brooklyn, staten island, the city, atlantic city, wherever I gotta go the car is goin with ...

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
I'm with you. Not a fan of Porsches. Their top models are truly awesome cars, but I love the torquey big V-8's. If I could afford a Turbo Carrera, I would buy a ZR-1. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I was actually considering a Porsche 911S before I bought my vette a few months ago. Fortunately, I ran into someone at a H-D dealer with a new vette. He filled me in on the updated information that I was unaware of about the vette. Needless to say, you can see what I decided.

I wonder if many Porsche owners aren't caught up in the hype, and don't know how far Corvettes have come over the years. I know I almost made the wrong decision, and wish I could run into the guy at the H-D dealership again to thank him. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
I like porsches new PDK transmission but the price of the vehicle is a bit ridiculous considering the performance.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was actually considering a Porsche 911S before I bought my vette a few months ago. Fortunately, I ran into someone at a H-D dealer with a new vette. He filled me in on the updated information that I was unaware of about the vette. Needless to say, you can see what I decided.

I wonder if many Porsche owners aren't caught up in the hype, and don't know how far Corvettes have come over the years. I know I almost made the wrong decision, and wish I could run into the guy at the H-D dealership again to thank him. :thumbsup:
I passed by schnieder + Nelson (SP?) porsche on my way to chevy... yes it crossed my mind... n then i thought about paying 1k for an oil change hahahaha

·
Registered
175 Posts
I used to have a 944 years ago.
I loved driving the car, but parts are stupid expensive.
I sold it because I knew something would break or wear out.

I have a friend with 2 or 3 911's or 930's. Can't remember which. One of them he spent a ton on a later model big dollar build engine and then it lit on fire. Another one got wrecked somehow. Not sure if he still has the third one. He planned to swap over parts or something. I think he grew tired of cashing in investments to pay for parts.:spanked:

These days, for me, it's more about driving American made.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If your looking for another car do a viper or Supercharged Cadillac XLR, 2 Seater late model T-Bird and then supercharge it

Porsches are nice but have many set backs

I mean you have to drop the motor just to change out the clutch lol

Good Luck !

Bon

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Whats that old car show joke...........

What is the difference between a porkypine and a Porsche?

On the Porsche the pricks are on the inside :laughing:

Porsche are either love hate thing (just like Corvette) its a cult. Personnaly I like the looks of some of their super cars but just can't behind an air cooled motor. One other thing, if Corvette had the same maintance schedual as the porsche most of us would not buy them either.:surprised

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
Porsche's really don't do anything for me... They are great cars, but I prefer Vettes and other exotics.. BEsides they've always struck me as sort of a Yuppie/chick car.. Too pretty to be manly..

Besides they have the laziest freakin design department in the whole world !!:crazy:

The shape of the porsche has in effect remained unchanged since the beginning... a bit smoother, but same basic shape...

That's pretty much all I have to say about that... :laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Porsche's really don't do anything for me... They are great cars, but I prefer Vettes and other exotics.. BEsides they've always struck me as sort of a Yuppie/chick car..
lmao funny you should say that cause my aunt drives a 6-speed cayman S... I do agree with that I feel as if it fits her perfectly. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
101 Posts
porsches

went on the cannonball ,run ireland 2009.loads of porsches,astons, ferraris,etc etc etc even a shelby series one.i reckon i was the happiest guy there cause i had my c5 and it ran like a dream.the only one there of course .c5s c6s the best kept secret where i come from

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
lmao funny you should say that cause my aunt drives a 6-speed cayman S... I do agree with that I feel as if it fits her perfectly. :thumbsup:
Ooh ! That's a cool aunt you have there... Is she hot ? :lookinup:

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The Porsche Neunelfers are very nice cars. They do take a LOT of work to drive really, really quickly and they can be very unforgiving. Plenty of speed, I guess you get used to the whirring sound of the motor (give me a V-8 any day), they corner very, very well. They are so different from a Corvette in nearly every way that it's not surprising that afficianados of each make frequently disparage the other. No need for that at all (well, unless you drive a Boxster, which many die-hard Porschephiles actually can't stand either). I'm fortunate enough to have a few friend with newer Porsches, and we do trade cars once in a while just to see what the "other guys" are doing . . . and I can honestly say that more than a few "Porsche snobs" have a new-found respect for the C6.

I still don't want a Porsche. :D

·
Registered
729 Posts
I love Porsche as a brand, but it is really different than our Vettes. Not being a Porsche fanatic, I would have to say the Boxster and the Cayman are not really, really Porsches. If Corvette offered a six cylinder would it be a Corvette...even if it had Vette badges...not really. If you want a fast car thats easy to drive (computers handle most of the driving) a Porsche would be a fine choice. If you want a car that you have to drive and that gets your attention, buy a Vette.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have no use for the last 30 yrs of Porsches. I would drive an early 60s Speedster, but I doubt I'd fit in one.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
Went to a porsche driving event years back...with my c5...

When I rolled in I could tell the guys thought I'd be a real @ssole...but of course I dig all kinds of cars and let the performance of the corvette do my talking..

By the end of the event....I think there were quite a few porsche owners who were going to drive to a local chevy dealer to see about buying a new corvette...

It was a fun day and its funny....when I respected their cars and them as individuals...the porsche guys were cool..

When they saw what the corvette actually did on the track....they admired the vehicle and since I wasn't stuck up...I'd have to say they admired me and my personal choice for a sports car..

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
I'd have one in a second. :laughing:

Give me a mid 90's whaletail turbo or a newer 911 4S, any day.

Owners of all types of cars have their stereotypes, Corvette owners are no different... I like a car for what it is, not what others perceive it to be.

They're solid cars, alluring looks, fantastic interiors and well sorted technical machines. As a company, Porsche is squared away and they are far more connected to their community than GM will ever be.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
I restored a 57 Speedster in 69 but the motor was gone so I used a late big volkswagon from a 68. It was a lot of fun.

The new Porsche are awesome sports cars, fast, comfortable, legendary brakes. The new Turbo is a great car as is the GT3.

Lots more money than our cars and the new Corvettes hang with any Sports Car made today.

:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts