Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I needed a battery for my 88 C4. I don't drive the car daily so it does sit in the shop alot and from time to time I had to charge the battery. Well the last time she died and I tried to recharge the battery it would not take or hold a charge. I suspect an internal short which is probably one of the most common failures in batteries. It was a fairly old battery anyway.
Anyway I went down to the local Auto Parts place and dropped $150.00 on an Optima Red Top.
The question: Did I waste my money? I have not heard anything particuraly bad about the Optima series of batteries and hope to gain some knowledge from anyone out there that may have any experiece with the Optima (Good or Bad).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Letting a battery discharge all the way is bad for any car battery.

You might want to invest in a simple battery tender. Look for one that turn on when needed and turns off when the battery is charged.

P.S.- I've had an Optima Red top for about 1 1/2. Mine's been good for what I need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had mine in my 1996 for around 4 years. I've got a sound system with 2 800W Amps and I also run an electric water pump. I haven't had any problems what so ever.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've had a yellow top for a couple of years. No problems.
I have extra amps, DVD player, flip out Sony LCD head unit, Garmin navigation, external TV tuner, powered antenna. Lots of extra stuff that sucks up the juice. Plus the battery backup for the alarm siren and alarm brain charging all the time even when the key is off so I've been happy with the battery so far!

:cheers:

·
DC Pit Crew Boss
4,165 Posts
I think that if you are going to have all of the extra electronic goodies in there then a red top is the way to go, but if you just have normal everyday gadgets in there then I really don't think that you need to get the red top. I have a die hard in mine for about 100 bucks and works just fine.(although it doesnt look as cool as the red top:whip: )

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Red top owner here. Works great and has never let me down. I agree with getting a battery tender if you leave your car sitting for long periods of time. Its the only way to go.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I've got a red top on my shelf for my truck, but haven't used it yet. Nothing but good reviews from what I've read though.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
My car sits alot too and I have a red top in it with no real problems on it dieing. Sometimes if I have been working on it alot it will turn a bit slow to start but not to the point to jump it off. I am very happy with it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
178 Posts
The optima battery is not much different from a regular electrolyte batterie. Instead of having the Negative and Positive plates all in a row, they have them wrapped into cylinders within the battery. They are considered dry cells, but just have a gel inside of them instead of the water. Now with the plates being wrappped into cylinders, this creates more surface area of the plates themselves. More surface area = More cold cranking amps. But other than that, there practically the same. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
20,694 Posts
Yea I never gave the Optima any thought until I noticed that my Dad's 95 S10 has one.

It's a weekend warrior at best, just used for putt'n around town and hauling stuff. Extremely low miles. It's never had one issue with starting; just drive.

I have some El Cheesemo on my '85 simply because I'm always disconnecting it after I drive or work on it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At this point I'm feeling pretty good about my choice.
The Optima "yays" have a commanding lead over the "nays".
I do plan on installing a pretty substantial amp in the car soon so hopefully this was a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Did anyone with a 93-96 have to do anything to the battery tray to get the Optima to fit? I have a 94

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I bought a red top about 5 yrs ago and checked it when it came in, 12.8 volts. 10 months later when I finally got the race car ready to go I checked it before installing, 12.8 volts. This battery has been in several different race cars and my pull truck and I can't kill it!!!! I don't run an alternator in my race cars, have forgotten to recharge it every once in a while, and it still won't lay down. If it's good enuff for our military, it's good enuff for me.......

·
Registered
290 Posts
Brand names

I bought a titanium battery for $75 from Advance comes with a 5 year warranaty. It had the highest cold cranking amperage than the other brands except for the Nascar battery which was twice the cost.

Some batteries do look cooler I like the six-pack look but who's going too see it anyway?, and Advance never gives me a hassle when a part under warranaty bites the dust.

My wifes car a ford explorer died on a very cold winter morning and I jump started it with my craftsman 100 amp charger and jump starter feature. She drove it to advance 2 blocks from our house and my parts guy put her a new battery in and sent her on her way because she was late for work and I went down and paid him the $50 the next day. That's one of the reasons Advance gets most of my parts business. Always service with a smile and never a charge for parts testing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts