Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Vette story started in 1976 as a 16 year old kid standing in our farm yard watching an orange 1972 Corvette (first one I saw) go very slowly down the gravel road to our neighbor's house. Cousins from CA were visiting and right then and there I wanted a Corvette. I met the cousins a few years ago and they had sold that beautiful car a year earlier.

Fast forward to adulthood and after having a few newer Vettes my wife and I decided to go with a C3 - not many in our area and the one I really wanted. Decided to buy a new Camaro as our road car (we like to travel) and a C3 would be the fun car that would stay closer to home - I'm not mechanically inclined so didn't want to venture too far in it.

Camaro was great to travel in, but it wasn't a Corvette. What to do, what to do? I know - buy a C3, but upgrade it just a little so we could trust it on road trips. You know - maybe just a new engine "at the most". We found a local 1982 Collectors Edition - wanted one so the hatch would open for all those road trips we would take. Then we started looking at options for upgrades and ended up deciding to resto-mod the car so we would have the body of a C3 with the innards of a newer car. We would use all Corvette parts, but do whatever we wanted.

Project was started by a local shop in late winter (you know - April in South Dakota :rolleyes: ) and is still underway - it will be on the road next spring. Here's what we started with.

Nice car, but not what we wanted.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks blckslvr79.

My 23 year old son and I took a quick trip to Alabama to see the frame underway. We had great barbecue and stopped at the National Corvette Museum - his 1st time - needless to say he was impressed.

Here's the frame before engine.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here are the C5 seats being dropped in for the first time. Driver seat fit great - cut just a small piece out of the corner of the floor pan. Notice how high the passenger side sits - will need some major modification for that one.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The rear end floor pan will need to be raised to fit on the new frame which has C6 suspension. In process of taking apart the interior to get ready for that modification.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
We're going to do new Dakota Digital gauges and change the interior color so they took most of the interior out.

I'll post more later.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Great project, this will definitely be a nice resto mod when done.
What is the drive train going to be? LS3 with a six speed?

Riggs.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Hey, welcome aboard! I think I met you when I was in South Dakota last time. Glad you started a thread. The car should be sweet. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi Riggs74 - yes a LS3 but with a 4L65E 4 speed auto. This car will be a cruiser for my wife and I and the auto makes it easier for everyone to drive.

Brent319 - yes we met at CIC and I enjoyed looking at your car. Absolutely love what you have done and inspired me to do.

Here's my body being lowered on to the frame for the first time. The gas tank didn't fit, but the brace has been re-wroked by the shop so it fits now.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here's a view from the rear with the body mostly on the first time. Notice no gas tank. Tires look good from this view - nice and wide.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Nice build, I live about 2 hours from their shop, always wanted to visit them. Keep us posted:cheers:Mark

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Brent - I have 18x10 fronts and 19x13 rears - Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 runflats.

Evan - nice build - I have been watching yours. Evan stole a picture of the back end to show my wife.

To get my body on the new frame we had to remove the rear floor and put in a new one made of aluminum.

We were able to get 2 small storage compartments right behind the seats and the single storage area in the middle of the back is for the battery.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts