Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To me the C6 overhangs don't look all that much shorter than the C5. I was expecting a more drastic difference. GM is always bragging up the shorter overhangs of the C6. But, is it really enough to make that big of a deal about it?
kjmccurdy

EDIT:

Found this. I realize they are not quite proportioned accurately, but I think it does a decent job of illustrating my point. The rear is shorter mainly because it's flat. The front actually seems a little longer.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,548 Posts
That's an interesting copmparison. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
They say it's shorter overall with a longer wheelbase I think. Are the pics you use the same scale? distance from camera etc?
that is a neat comparison though.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
stilcrazee said:
They say it's shorter overall with a longer wheelbase I think. Are the pics you use the same scale? distance from camera etc?
:agree: it'll be good to see both cars side by side in person

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Punk Boy said:
:agree: it'll be good to see both cars side by side in person
:agree: I don't think the pictures do justice for the C5, so I can't see them doing it for the C6 either. I want to see them in person together.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stilcrazee said:
I didn't make this picture. I found it on CF. But, technically the C6 should be enlarged a little bit because the wheelbase is supposed to be 1.2" longer than the C5. So, that front overhang should be even longer.

kjmccurdy

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think Jim's got a good point. I've read that the wheelbase is longer, which would change the proportions a bit, though not a lot. The Cadillac XLR, which of course is based on the C6, rides on a 105.7" wheelbase, compared with 104.5" for the C5.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I took this pic and enlarged the C6 by 1.15% (104.5 to 105.7) it wasn't even enough to make the lines offset significantly.

·
Registered
113 Posts
:cheers: I actually took the picture of the top C5 and did the original edit to the rear wheel on the C6 shot in that image. (That's my Coupe! :) ) I tried to take it as close to the same angle as the C6 shot as possible. Here's my original side-by-side picture and then the composite. There are just too many camera variables to get it exactly the same, but I do have the scale the same. The 5 lugs on the rear C5 and C6 wheel line up perfectly (if you place the wheels directly on top of each other), and my rear 18" C5 wheel is the same diameter when overlayed on the front C6 wheel.

The final picture shows the points I used to line up the composite. Note that these points on the doors match perfectly. I also tried to point out the difference in the wheel base between the C5 and C6. I can not explain why the C6 seems to be just a slight bit longer than the C5 in the image, but you can see that the rear C6 overhang is less than the C5, although the rear portion of the car from the door back is roughly the same length overall. The front overhang is about the same as the C5. The C5 appears shorter in height by a bit and the rake of the windshield is slightly more than the C6. This could be due to a slight difference in the camera angle or... the C5 might actually be a little shorter in height. The current rumor is that the C6 doesn't have as raked a windshield, so this could be actual proof?!?!

Anyway... here are the pictures:

(Click image for a larger view)

:cheers:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Excellent work, Keith!

I think the reason the C5 is shorter is because of the difference in angles of the two shots. The C6 photo shows more of the front fascia.

If the two cars were moving, the C6 would be veering toward camera (inching to driver's right) and the C5 would be veering away from camera (inching to driver's left).

Again, great work. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
photography ...although greatly appreciated is not giving you a true picture.

When the car hits the show circuit and the magazines will see the differences more clearly.

The new C6 is a stunning beauty...much in the same vein that all Corvettes before it.

I like what GM did as far as evolving the C5 into the C6..

I believe the C5 is not immediately dated by this new C6 design and for that I'm grateful.. (as is my wife!)

I'll be holding off buying another corvette for a few more years...(even though I dig the new design quite a bit)

I believe GM did nice design work here..

·
Registered
209 Posts
dalc5 said:
:agree: Does anyone think the C5 looks newer( by design) than the C6?
That's funny. I was thinking that as I looked at the pictures! It looks like the C5 should be an evolution of the C6. The C5 with the slanted side pillar, the smooth side vent, the lighter more elegant wheels and the smooth overall lines. I hope you all can forgive me for saying this! :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Not an accurate scale

The C6 has the same wheelbase as the XLR which is several inches longer than a C5's. If that picture were accurate in size the wheel center-caps would not line up. Overhangs are shorter on the C6 and the wheelbase is visually longer. It is very noticeable on the C6 test track video from Germany. My only isue is how similar the two cars are. I don't know if a C6 commands a $60K price.....

·
Super Moderator
10,122 Posts
Re: Not an accurate scale

jerseyvette said:
The C6 has the same wheelbase as the XLR which is several inches longer than a C5's. If that picture were accurate in size the wheel center-caps would not line up. Overhangs are shorter on the C6 and the wheelbase is visually longer. It is very noticeable on the C6 test track video from Germany. My only isue is how similar the two cars are. I don't know if a C6 commands a $60K price.....

Depending on who's reporting, the C6 WB is either 1.2 or 1.5" longer than the C5. I've seen comparisons like this before and one must remember that the C6 pic is taken from about a 6-10 foot lower point than "ground level" because it was on the carrier. These comparisons are great for design analysis, but nothing more IMO. I need to see the actual measurements and then the car in person before I make any conclusions.

Ignoring the tech advancements, looking only at the designs, the two cars could almost be contemporaries IMO. When we look at Ferrari's offerings we see a very edgy Enzo and we see a 575M that is smooth and fluid. The C6 seems to acknowledge the new edgy design trends without embracing them. The C6 combines both themes - an edgy smoothness, if you will. The C5 design is not old looking, but very quickly it will appear to look very long and very big when we start to see the two cars together. However, it remains to be seen if there is really any significant difference in length and width and weight.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Re: Re: Not an accurate scale

My only beef with the C5 was the big looking butt and the lack of interior investment/refinement from GM. The Seats on a C5 do not have nearly enough support for hard core drivers. My brother has a 2003 convertible and was bumped from a Ford taurus doing 15-20 MPH and he was not hurt. The car did not even crack or break which is an amazing safety accomplishment. Cheers to Chevy design for this and thanks!

Back to the C6: I prefer cars to have the Ferrari look like we are seeing out of Europe these days (Lambo Gallardo, Enzos etc). I followed a Ferrri on the highway last week and it was so low and wide that it just looked much more exotic than a C5. This is the look I am after when looking for design que's in a C6. I want a car that's stance would overshadow the looks of a Viper and of top models from Germany. If GM stays too conservative with designs in hope to save money and retain loyal vette customers they may he boat and Vette will have a possibility to disappear over the next decade.

Ford made this misake with the "New Thunderbird". They kept syling conservative, used the Lincoln LS platform to save costs, performance was average and the car was a flop overall (with models sitting on lots a year later).

If Corvette's prices continue to rise without significant design and performance enhancements the car may lose it's edge in the market. Look at the 350Z, Nissan was not afriad to be bold and to have a fair price point and the car has almost doubled sales forecasts(Car costs 35K!). The competition is also adding more and more head/leg room on new vehicles (which chevy has ignored for 2003-2004 in Corvettes where headroom was decreased).

I like other descriminating car lovers needs a refreshing design for the C6 with creature comforts, high quality performance and a fair value. Wood and aluminum dashes come in $25K cars from around the world and GM needs to stay competitive to retain Vette buyers with the C6.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts