Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 1991 Corvette on the road today after a long lay off of three months. She was alright on the open roads but after sitting in traffic for five minutes she started to lose power. When I got her home water was coming out past the cap at the expansion tank. The temperature gauge was slightly above the mid point but the coolant fans did not come on. After she cooled down the power had returned. I grounded the ALCL and the fans came on. Any ideas on what is wrong would be welcome

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just got my 1991 Corvette on the road today after a long lay off of three months. She was alright on the open roads but after sitting in traffic for five minutes she started to lose power. When I got her home water was coming out past the cap at the expansion tank. The temperature gauge was slightly above the mid point but the coolant fans did not come on. After she cooled down the power had returned. I grounded the ALCL and the fans came on. Any ideas on what is wrong would be welcome
Have you taken the shroud off the radiator and clean up what ever crap has collected in there of the last 16 years? I was supprised to see the collection of leaves and other stuff.

One thing to try is turning on the A/C. By doing so you bypass the normal circuit that tells the fans when to come on. It's not really a fix but it gives you a next step in figuring out what's wrong.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If you can ground the ALCL connector and the fans come on, then the computer end is working, but the sensor that tells it when to kick it on, probably isn't. Replace the sensor, and install a 160 degree thermastat. That should help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts