Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have had my '02 Coupe for one week now. I was at lunch with some buddy's and I let one of my friends drive my car. As we were going through the parking lot a guy in a Ford Explorer backed up and hit us. My friend laid on the horn, but the guy kept going. He couldn't react quick enough to back up since he wasn't familiar with the 6 speed.

Luckily the damage was minimal. The front bumber was scratched in an area of about 4" by about 6". It doesn't appear to be too deep. I spoke to one dealer and they said they would have to repaint the front half of the car to be able to properly blend it. I drove by another dealer that said they would remove the bumber cover and just paint it.

The guy that hit me was insured, so it will be covered. I have a couple of issues to deal with. First, does this sound right that half of the car should be repainted? Second, will this affect the resale value of my car if it has paint work? One concern is that it will show up on a CarFax report and this will hurt the value. I have been told that there is some new law in Texas that doesn't allow you to claim depreciation from an accident. I can't believe that this would be true.

You help in this matter is much appreciated.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,513 Posts
That really sucks. I hope you 'waved' at the guy:finger: If it was me, I would take pictures from every angle for your records. (don't forget to post them here in the gallery.) If it comes up later because you are selling then you have pictures of exactly what the damage was. I would get as little painted as possible. If they can match the paint by just painting the bumper that would be great. My wife's MB is about the same color as the Vette EB. SHe had a slight altercation very similar to your's and my paint guy matched it perfectly. Good luck on getting it fixed

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
A good paint guy should have no problem matching the color. Have you got estimates, if its not that much, maybe you can get the guy to pay for it without involving the insurance company.

I had the same thing happen a few years ago, and the guy paid out of his pocket, was about the same amount as his deductible, so it was no big deal.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i hate to be the say the bad new but yes it probably will affect your resale value....if i were looking at two cars with the same history except one was involved in an accident and the other not...guess which one i'd buy...

go to the best shop you can find...try and stay away from car dealers they usually send there body work out to other firms....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the good information. I will take plenty of pictures to back it up. Unfortunately, I already started the claims process with his insurance company. It does really suck that this happened, but I guess I'd rather it be surface scratches than true body damage.

As far as any depreciation, will that be a problem?

Thanks,

Kipp

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i don't think it'll be too big a problem if you have the pics to back it up..if you can go to the shop while they have the bumper off and take some more pics to show that there wasn't any damage that would help to back up your claims to a potential future buyer

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. Trust me, no one wins!:(

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage. Not to be a smart ass but if you bought a C5 with the idea that it will hold a lot of value, you may have made a mistake. If your damage is cosmetic rather than structural I think the "eminished" value should be minimal. If you sell it out right and it is spotless otherwise you may not lose a lot.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think alot of people do not understand the limitations of car fax. It can't report if a car has been in an accident. It can only report if it's a salvaged title, and sometimes it can miss that.

My experience with some repairs I've had is that any peice can be paint matched, but depending on where it's at blending the new paint with the old may be nessisary.

I think the only thing you have to worry about on resale is the eye of the guy who's buying the car. If the painter does a good job no one will know except you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I guess my accident history "paranoia" comes from my NSX days. I drove my NSX for one year and was able to sell it for $500 less than I paid for it. And that was with the car needing new tires and $1200 in A/C work. We all know that a car that has been in an accident can be labeled "damaged goods" and the resale value will be affected.

When I bought my Corvette I was very particular about finding one with low miles and no accident history. And yes, I do want my car to hold value. That is why I bought one that is 2 years old, so that I could let someone else take the biggest depreciation hit. I would hope that in 2 years my car will at least retain 75% of the current value.

I drive a car about 2 years on average, although the last two cars I drove for one year each. My plan in two years is to buy either a one year old used C6 or the new next generation NSX. Based on what I have read and seen on the C6, I am leaning towards that. But who knows what will happen.

For now, I will get my car fixed and continue to enjoy driving it every day.

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i don't think you'll be taking a huge hit because of the minor accident expecially with proof that its not a major accident..

·
Registered
555 Posts
I got some help for anyone.... Don't let others drive your vette. I won't ever let anyone drive mine. It seems to be the calling card for damage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts