Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I don't think they can be "added" on .......the ones on the 2008 are crisper in there response.........your answer...buy a 2008 C6 :lookinup: :D

·
Registered
1,038 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
A TH400 is about as "computer controlled" as Roy Rogers' horse. If you want to get there, swap to a 4L60E or 4L80E. Those tranny's use solenoids to control pressure and shifts. A 400 uses pressure, vacuum, and road speed.
I think it would be cool, but only having 3 forward gears would take some of the cool out. Need to have 5 or 6 forwards, plus the lockup convertor- all controlled with the paddles.

:cheers:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
http://twistmachine.com/

I have no experience with the new GM 6-speed automatic, but I would think it would be great upgrade along with the paddle shifting!
When they stuck computer controlls on the 700, anyone know what they did to the valve body to make that happen??? is it possible to mod a 700 into a 4l60e??? IF so....I wonder if those controll solenoids?? can be adapted into a 200 4r.....anyone???

that would then allow a paddle shifter?? that would be cool, to incorporate that into my olde tyme HURST shifter steel/chrome bar...and 8 ball on top....

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
When they stuck computer controlls on the 700, anyone know what they did to the valve body to make that happen??? is it possible to mod a 700 into a 4l60e??? IF so....I wonder if those controll solenoids?? can be adapted into a 200 4r.....anyone???

that would then allow a paddle shifter?? that would be cool, to incorporate that into my olde tyme HURST shifter steel/chrome bar...and 8 ball on top....
The early 700's although computer controlled, didn't rally have anything other than the TCC that was controlled. The shift points, feel and all that was still controlled by the TV cable. Throttle pressure and road speed did all the work. When GM popped the 4L60E, then the computrer was involved to control everything. Different passages in the case, valve body now has a bank of solenoids and variable valves, all controlled. Bottom line (IMHO) is that the 4L60E,4L80E could be setup with paddles, but the expense and effort to get a 200 or a 700 to the same place would be really spendy.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
The early 700's although computer controlled, didn't rally have anything other than the TCC that was controlled. The shift points, feel and all that was still controlled by the TV cable. Throttle pressure and road speed did all the work. When GM popped the 4L60E, then the computrer was involved to control everything. Different passages in the case, valve body now has a bank of solenoids and variable valves, all controlled. Bottom line (IMHO) is that the 4L60E,4L80E could be setup with paddles, but the expense and effort to get a 200 or a 700 to the same place would be really spendy.

OK, from the above...you know for a FACT, that it's not a bolt on of another iron valve body to a 700 case?? IF that is so, I wonder perzactly what was modded in the case/brain area to accomodate computer/electronic shifting???

and what it would take to do that to any other tranny....obviously the shift point are controlled by hydraulic pressures, so that circuit need be cut off, OR the valves recut to ignore that....but other than solenoid actions being put in the ends of the valve body....I presume....just what needs changed???

I"m exploring information and possibilties here....seems to me, a few passages could be plugged, and control sequences interrupted, and the solenoids added to controll maybe 1/4 the valves presently in a hydraulically done unit....NO???

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
To compare the hydraulic differences you'd have to have both the hyd. diagrams laying side by side and then go thru them 1 circuit at a time, comparing as you go. Then with that info, start looking at the case/valve body passages. There may be more similarities than I think, but I do know the physical appearance of the cases AND the valve body mating surfaces are different..

·
Registered
738 Posts
Well, having just done my 2004R and opening up my 4L60E in my truck, they look like 2 completely different animals, like zebras and gold fish.
It might be technically possible given enough time, knowledge and $ to put solenoid/computer controls into a 700 or 200 tranny, I sure can't see the advantage of doing that over just swapping in a 4L60 or 80. There are at lleast 5 solenoids in the bottom of the thing, 2 control forward gears, one for TCC, I can't remember what the others do. Valve body is recogniseable as a valve body, but that was all.
There seem to be several controllers out there on the market for the eletronic trannys that give you the option of putting them into an older car. Sure seems to me to be the better way to go

1 - 11 of 11 Posts