Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the prescribed way to use touch up paint?

I recall it being said that first you sand the edge off the chip area to smooth it all out, then apply the touch up paint, then sand again. That's pretty loose though.

What grade sand paper?
What about something like rubbing compound?

How is it done????? :huh:

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
I learned to clean out the chip very well, using alcohol or prepsol. (glass cleaner with ammonia works well to).

Then, using a toothpick, you want to add very small amounts of paint into the chip, with 20 minutes in between. You only want to fill in the chip, you don't want to go higher than the chip, or go onto the good paint.

When the chip is filled, your done....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:
I learned to clean out the chip very well, using alcohol or prepsol. (glass cleaner with ammonia works well to).

Then, using a toothpick, you want to add very small amounts of paint into the chip, with 20 minutes in between. You only want to fill in the chip, you don't want to go higher than the chip, or go onto the good paint.

I was told to use a very fine artists brush and do the same thing. Toothpick sounds the cheaper option.

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
Patrick96LT4 said:

I've seen this same method but the guy built it up higher than the chip then using 2000 grit paper soap sanded the area then buffed the hood. He did it on an old Chevy you couldn't hardly tell there was a repair.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Patrick what do you do on ...

a 2 coat metalic? My new car has a colour coat and a clear coat over the top. What happens if the chip goes right down to the bodywork? :huh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts