Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post. I have a 1986 Coupe and I have been trying to find the paint code on it. I have found something next to the RPO codes. It reads: BSE/CLR COAT WA- U8771 . Could someone decode this for me? Thanks in advance.

btw, this is so far the best corvette forum that I have found!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some of the purple paint has been peeling off and it looks like it is a two tone of gold metallic on the upper half and medium brown metallic on the lower half but I couldn't find that color combo here http://corvetteactioncenter.com/specs/1986/86prod.html

Any ideas? :huh:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
These are the stock codes (left) and paint codes (right) for 1986.

13 Silver Metallic B/C B8402
18 Medium Gray Metallic B/C B8321
20 Nassau Blue Metallic B/C B8625
35 Yellow B/C B8627
40 White B/C B8469
41 Black B/C 99
53 Gold Metallic B/C B8327
59 Silver Beige Metallic B/C B8626
66 Russet Metallic B/C B8622
69 Dark Beige Metallic B/C B8628
74 Flame Red Metallic B/C B8610
81 Bright Red B/C C8508
13/18 Silver Met/Medium Gray Met B8402/B8321
18/41 Medium Gray Met/Black B8321/99
40/13 White/Silver Metallic B8469/B8402
59/69 Light Beige Met/Dark Beige Met B8626/B8628

:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
It sounds like you have '86 colors, just a weird combo.

Is it possible the car has been repainted? Either upper or lower half?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Arnie ...<br>
Check out this site:

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1986-gm-pg05.jpg

WA8771 is listed as Dark Beige Poly, notice the number 69 to the left of the paint chip, that code number is listed as Medium Brown Metallic in the Corvette Black Book.

You may also want to go to the Corvette Museum site and order a reproduction window sticker and build sheet for your car, that way you know exactly what your car came with.

www.corvettemuseum.com<br>
Wow, thanks. :cool: So is dark beige poly the same as medium brown? Also, what does the "U" stand for in "WA - U8771"?

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I don't know what the "U" stands for and yes, the Medium Brown Metallic and Dark Beige Poly are probably the same. I had a Nassau Blue 2000 C5, but when looking for touch up paint it was called Bright Blue. One name for marketing to the public and another for in-house use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by War Machine ...<br>
Welcome to DC rips-vette!! :cheers:

The U means upper. On my RPO sticker I have a L8748 and U8748. That means the whole car is Dark Red. If they are different, it means two tone paint.<br>
Thanks War Machine, but there lies the problem. I ONLY have the "U" and no "L" http://rips-stang2000gt.tripod.com/y2kgt/id4.html (third picture from the top)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by War Machine ...<br>
That is odd that it was originally a 2 tone and only the "U" is present. Is it possible that that's not the original sticker? That type is pretty dark. I can barely read my RPO label b/c it's so faded.<br>
I THINK that is was originally a 2 tone paint scheme from the bits of the purple paint that has peeled off. I wish I had more history on the car but for all I know the RPO label is original. And the previous owner didnt know hardly anything about the car :lookinup: so I think it wouldnt do me any good to ask him about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it turns out that my original color is medium brown metallic. My RPO 69U told me so. I kept looking at all these different web sites and they where saying the RPO for medium brown metallic was just 69 without the U and that was throwing me off because I couldnt find a RPO code with only 2 letters/numbers in it. Soooo, mystery solved, thanks for all of your help guys. :cheers:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts