Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my mirror repainted, just wanted to know how long before the paint cures. i am putting on the 3m protective plastic on the mirror but dont want the paint to come off like it did a few weeks ago.

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
Did you paint it yourself of have it done at a body shop? Some shops have a cure booth and the paint should be fine in about 48-72 hrs from painting to apply a protective film. If you did it yourself, you may want to wait a week and make sure it's in some sunshine for some time each day before applying.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was done by the dealer i waited about a week before i tried to apply the clear film, but when adjusting the film in the right position the film ripped the paint right off. I had it repainted about 3-4 weeks ago, and i'm itching to try again but a little worried about the paint coming off again

·
Banned
2,069 Posts
If it ripped right off with the film, they didn't use proper adheasion process, meaning they probally didn't sand off enough of the original finish so the paint would have a good surface to bite into or they didn't use an adheasion promotor in the mix, either way, it sounds like you may be better off not using the applique.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts