Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about purchasing some custom painted fuel rail covers. Looking at the prices ~$250+ got me thinking maybe I'd would buy a stock set ~$130 and try my own hand at painting. It would be rattle can of course. I'd just be painting them silver then handing them off to a buddy of mine for some airbrush work.

Has anyone painted their own with a rattle can and came out with good results? Or should i just pony up for some that are already painted?

·
Premium Member
15,763 Posts
I painted mine with a rattle can long before I went supercharged. Turned out really nice too :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
FIll in the lines and the 5.7L from behind and grind them off, then sand them really smooth and then paint them. Don't just throw the paint to them. Take your time and prep them right and the end results are just as nice as the expensive ones.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They look good. Did you guys lay down clear as well?

My thought is to grind/sand off everything but the "Corvette" lettering. Smooth them out as much as I can after that, then get to painting. I have a buddy who has offered to paint some checkerboards on there as well to match what I've got on the car. Then I thought I would try to spray on some clear. Heck I see them do it on Spike TV almost every Saturday, how hard can it be.......;)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You definitely want to clear them. Leave the corvette letters and get rid of the rest. Get the chrome letters for the corvette and you will be set.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Ive painted many covers. Sand them soomth for best results. I prefer tossing the covers all together and relocating the coils. Stand apart from the crowd. Heres a couple pics. Just got me another c5, will do this soon.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
$130 for a set of covers?!:thud: I'll make you a deal on mine, they are in great shape.:laughing:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did mine myself :thumbsup:

Very nice. Details? Looks nicer than I think I could pull off with a rattle can.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Very nice. Details? Looks nicer than I think I could pull off with a rattle can.

Modded OEM FRC's into smootie FRC's airbrushed lettering, primed painted and cleared with BASF, wetsanded and buffed out with 3M 3 part system :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Geez,I picked up a used set from a member here for $35 bucks,still need to paint them,maybe I'll do that this weekend.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here's my FRC's and the intake I painted using Duplicolor paints, although the satin black FRC results are hard to see in this pic. It's all about the prep. Anyone can spray paint, but the prep is critical for good results. I spent alot of hours on this intake, but I love DIY projects! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nicely done Dennis.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
What colr paint did you use? Where did you purchase and did you sand them done first or just clean good with alcohol?
This thread is 3.5 years old. The person you are asking might not even be around anymore.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts