Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i have been thinking about doing the paint on my car myself. but i need your help. i have never painted a car before, and am only 17. i think that i could do a good enough job now and make it look nice for right now until i save enough money for a higher dollar professional job. but i want your suggestions. what would i need to do? i have already stripped the whole car fown to the glass and i am going to sand soon. I just want your guys opinion on the difficulty, and a rough estimate of what you think it would cost to paint it myself. thanks!:thumbsup:

Oh and i would also be open to anyone who lives in/near socal that would be willing to paint my car?(based on price) i can get the car to you and have alll the paint for you. just send me a pm and let me know what you can do!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
In a professional shop, the prep and body work is the most expensive part of a paint job. If you did that yourself the rest is easy for a professional.

Have you gotten estimates for a paint job where the stripping and trim work is already done? If all they have to do is lay the primer, paint, and clear, with sanding and prep between, you'd be looking at a very low number.

Do you have your own equipment? I'm talking about things like paint guns and an air compressor capable of running a HVLP gun? Masks, cups, sand paper, blocks, not to mention a homemade paint booth that's clean, ventilated, detached from a house, and not in a neighborhood?

Some neighborhoods will not allow you to paint a car in your garage because of the vented paint and fumes. It's toxic stuff if you breath it without a mask, and if someone turns you in you could get in a lot of trouble. Also, if the garage is attached to a house, the inside of the house will fill with the fumes even with the door closed. This is unsafe for other family members and pets.

The paint gets on everything in the garage, and any dirt or debris in the garage will likely end up in paint and clear. It's got to be very clean.

I've painted a couple cars in a home garage and let me put it this way...I would have much rather done all the prep work and dropped it off at a professional shop. Their cost would have been even less than what we spent in equipment to do the job, plus all the hassle associated with doing work like that out of a home garage.

Plus, if the professional screws up, he fixes his mistake for free. If you mess up, you have to do it all yourself, which might mean buying more paint.

I'll finish with this piece of advice. Don't slap on a cheap paint job with the assumption that you'll do a better job later. That's a lot of wasted time and effort, because it's just as hard to do a cheap paint job as it is to do an expensive one.

Do it right the first time. Do as much work as you can to save money, then drop it off to a professional to actually paint the car.

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
what would i need to do?
Here's all you need:
:laughing:

I agree with D_B, do it right the first time because if you don't you'll pay twice as much in the future. Have you thought about contacting one of the local trade schools or high school auto shop programs and allowing them to work on the car for you as a learning experience? Might be something to consider. You won't get a show quality paint job but you'll get a very good daily driver paint job. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D_B, that was the information i was asking for. thanks for all the help your awesome. ill probably do all the prep work, or as much as i can, then take it to a professional shop.

and Poncherello, i looked at taking my engine in to something like that for the school to use it to be rebuilt, but couldnt find any place around my area.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts