Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have the undercarriage clean and I have to say I am pretty impressed with the shape the frame and everything else is in. The next step is to get under there and paint it to keep it looking nice.

Before I start going to town with a spray can, I was curious if there was any advice on what not to paint and would I be the least bit realistic to think I could use a brush versus a spray can? Just worried about the overspray on the paint.

Anyone willing to share some lessons learned?

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
are you looking to paint just the frame, or everything underneath?

·
Banned
6,201 Posts
If you are spraying everything black, use regular matt spray paint for all the underpans for drivers and passenger and remember, you will not get a smooth finish. This is mainly because of the grease and oil deposits on the underneath of your frame over the years..(Even if you wash the underneath well AND scrub) Paint will not catch in many of the cross beams.

Unless of course you're planning to do a frame off resto and stripping the car down to frame and sand blasting the entire frame, which I'm guessing youre not.

Use Hi-Heat paint for the muffler, cats and pipes connecting to and from. It is hi-heat, so it wont smell beyond the first time with the exhaust heat.. Hitting any of the engine components from underneath really wont damage them, but it's better not to.. cover the bottom sides half of your car with plastic sheeting and painters tape, so that takes care of overspray issues.

Wish you luck.. the best way would be to have the car on a 2/4 post lift.. The hard way would be putting it on ramps or jack stands, leaving you just about 1-2 feet to move around underneath. Plan on covering the entire floor of your garage with plastic sheeting (Trust me, it costs just 3-4$, but will save your floor.)

:cheers:

I did my frame when I had the car up on the 4 post when putting on the sidepipes and headers.
This is a BEFORE pic.. I need to put it back up on a lift to take an after pic.. can't find any that arent blurry..

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm doing it the hard way:

Frame On: Stripped all paint (grease & oils, etc) off the frame with wire brushes and ABS abrasive wheels, off the fiberglass (floor pan areas, fender wells etc.) with scrapers, scotchbrite pads etc, so as not to scratch the glass.

Rear is on jackstands, rear suspension completely removed for 6-link upgrade fabrication (completed, waiting to paint prior to re-assy:partyon:).

I'll be laying on my back with spray cans::thud:

Rustoleum High Temp Engine "Primer" followed by "Semi-Gloss Black" for the frame and sheetmetal floor pan pieces, fiberglass will remain bare, (unless normally painted like the firewall being flat black.)

Rear Suspension has been painted piece by piece: trailing arms same as frame, cast iron pieces, (differential, hubs, etc) polished and clear coated with Rustleum High Performance Wheel Paint.

Will be masking everything, and after frame has cured, anything like galvanized OEM fuel lines, or cable clamps will get a shot of clear coat also to keep them pretty.

Engine block has already been painted High Temp GM Blue followed by High Temp Clear Coat, (I just love the wet look!:thumbsup:)

It's a total PITA to do it this way, but it's also the only way I can do it and still live with the perfectionist in me.:crazy:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I am doing the same thing right now,i started 2 months back. I already had the front half done when i replaced the motor 2 years ago,and now i am doing from the trans cross member back. I removed every thing i could including the whole rear suspension,since i am rebuilding all of that to.
I used a needle scaler to clean all the undercoat off,then kerosene and scotch brite pads,and then used a cheap spray gun filled with lacquer thinner and washed it all down. once cleaned i masked off the car and sprayed rust encapsulator with a spray gun,I got the paint from Eastwood's. I finished that today. Tomorrow i will crawl back under there and spray POR15 semi gloss black. The differential,half shafts,and spindles i sprayed in Detail Grey again this came from Eastwoods. It is a lot of work but will look good when done. All the suspension parts i bead blasted before i painted them.
I will get some pics up in a day or 2.

Hope this helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got it out of the shop today and took it for a run on HWY 190 out in front of Ft. Hood. It is running perfect!!!! 80 mph and I think the car had as big of a smile as I did. :partyon:

The undercarriage is clean now (not quite as clean as yours E Tar) but still pretty damn good especially for a 39 year old car. The more people I have go through it and the more I look at it, I am coming to the conclusion that I lucked out with a car that several guys have treated it like a vette should be treated. They have clearly enjoyed it by running it hard but stored it well and put time into the engine to maintain it. I don't want to be the guy that destroys her. Really no mods at all. Don't get me wrong though, I would probably get kicked out of a NCRS show in a heartbeat. It has it's imperfections, but don't they all.

I hate to say that I am settling for good enough on this one, but I am beginning the moving process and have to make the drive from Ft. Hood to Ft. Bliss (about 9 hours) at the end of next month. I want to get it to the point where I am confident it is protected until I can do a full resto in about 10 years.

I am thinking of using RustOleum on the whole undercarriage. Am I about to commit an unforgivable sin?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts