Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone either painted a die cast to match their car? Or does anyone know someone who paints die cast cars to match existing owners car?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Painted a 1:18 scale 1969 Firebird to match the one I had. Red with a black vynil top. Model was orange with black stripes. Took the model apart, removed everything from the body, lightly sanded it, bought some guards red glossy aerosol model paint, and a flat black for the top. Sprayed it then baked it in my kitchen oven. Looked decent, although it would never pass for a toy-factory job.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Painted a 1:18 scale 1969 Firebird to match the one I had. Red with a black vynil top. Model was orange with black stripes. Took the model apart, removed everything from the body, lightly sanded it, bought some guards red glossy aerosol model paint, and a flat black for the top. Sprayed it then baked it in my kitchen oven. Looked decent, although it would never pass for a toy-factory job.
Hey, rdevaux2007...
it sounds like a good job...but if I may help your firebird just a little ...
take it back apart and buy a can of clear-coat and go over your car, 1 coat let dry...and then second coat...and you'll be real happy...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Has anyone either painted a die cast to match their car? Or does anyone know someone who paints die cast cars to match existing owners car?
Hi 71Mako,
you can go to your local body shop and get the real color of your car in a spray can... take it apart clean it really good, and paint... then add a couple of coats of clear coat, you can get that at a local hobbie store...

good luck...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hey, rdevaux2007...
it sounds like a good job...but if I may help your firebird just a little ...
take it back apart and buy a can of clear-coat and go over your car, 1 coat let dry...and then second coat...and you'll be real happy...:thumbsup:
thanks man, i may give that a try!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I haven't done it yet. Too many other projects to work on. But it's on the list!

·
Registered
170 Posts
your question

i consider myself an expert in this dept.

go to "expresspaintonline.com", you can get spray can OEM paint and clear for a reasonable price.

disassemble the best you can, but the glass is the trick, what are you using as the base car...(model brand?)

i have painted hundreds of diecasts, just ask....mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts