Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great article about the potential candidates for the Republican nomination as we know them at this point. He develops a scenario where Palin gets the Pub nomination, Michael Bloomberg runs as an independent and takes the big states away from Obama leaving the election to the House of Representatives which in 2012 will be controlled by the Republicans. It's a lengthy read, but hang in until the end. That's where his fascinating possible scenarios are explained. I still put a Palin presidency in the .01% probability category. Here is an excerpt and then the link.

"Until not long ago, the only people who took seriously the notion that Palin would make a White House bid in 2012, let alone win the Republican nomination, were those who really do live at the unicorn ranch�and spend their time there huffing pixie dust. When Palin quit the Alaska governorship in 2009, her political career seemed over. And even after she resurrected herself, emerging through her media ubiquity and her aggressive endorsement strategy as arguably the most powerful figure in the GOP, much of the political world believed that she was animated by non-presidential motives. To further pad her bank account. To redeem her reputation. To turn herself into the party’s preeminent kingmaker. Or possibly all three.

But today the conventional wisdom about Palin is being revised again, nowhere more so than within the ranks of professional Republicans. Among two dozen senior strategists and operatives with whom I’ve spoken in recent days�including many of those responsible for securing the nomination for the party’s last three standard-bearers�there is a growing consensus that Palin is running or setting herself up to run. All agreed that her entry would radically and fundamentally transform the race. Most averred that if she steps into the fray, she stands a reasonable chance of claiming the Republican prize. Indeed, more than one argued that she is already the de facto front-runner.

For many Republicans, a Palin nomination would be a shrieking nightmare�just as for most Democrats, it would be a wet dream. (Asked about the possibility by reporters, David Plouffe, Obama’s 2008 campaign manager, quipped, �Something tells me we won’t get that lucky.�) The emotions here are diametrically opposed but based on a shared conviction: that Palin, whose national approval rating in a CBS News poll this month stood at a lowly 22 percent, is irredeemably unelectable, and thus her nomination would essentially guarantee Obama a second term.

Or would it? In a two-way contest, almost certainly. But what if a Palin nomination provoked a credible independent candidacy? What if the candidacy in question was that of, oh, Michael Rubens Bloomberg? What would happen then?"

Link: http://nymag.com/print/?/news/politics/69130/

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Palin, will not run for President.

Michael Bloomberg should fade into the sunset after he pulled an end around on NYC voters and sacked the term limits law that they voted for. He's nothing more than a rich elitist snob who's out for his own glory....he doesn't care about the people.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Palin, will not run for President.

Michael Bloomberg should fade into the sunset after he pulled an end around on NYC voters and sacked the term limits law that they voted for. He's nothing more than a rich elitist snob who's out for his own glory....he doesn't care about the people.
I have to say I agree with you. But it is a weird cycle coming up. The Republican Party wants nothing to do with a Palin candidacy. But her popularity with the Tea Party could force her on them the way many congressional candidates have been forced on them in 2010. It's not a good scenario for Pubs, because I still think she is totally unelectable (even though, given a choice between Obama and Palin, I would vote for her in a heartbeat).

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I honestly have no confidence in Palin's leadership skills as a president or her knowledge of how to run a country. I'd rather see Hilary there. She seems cut throat enough to be prez.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts
The Tea party math just makes no sense to me.....

Republican party /2 = victory....:crazy::crazy:

I guess that the election a week from tomorrow will tell us if there is a new math in the country. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Tea party math just makes no sense to me.....

Republican party /2 = victory....:crazy::crazy:

I guess that the election a week from tomorrow will tell us if there is a new math in the country. :laughing:
Remember, it's all about electoral votes. If Obama can't get 270, it doesn't matter what the other two candidates do. In this guy's scenario, Bloomberg takes NY and the surrounding big states plus California. Doing so robs Obama of the electoral votes he needs and throws it into the House where the new Pub majority rules. Highly unlikely, but interesting concept.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Regardless of my personal belief that she is as unqualified, intellectually, as our current ruling administration... she has show her ability to unite and energize half of the country. This is something the current administration as a whole... has been unable to accomplish.

Keep right on underestimating the party. ;)

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Regardless of my personal belief that she is as unqualified, intellectually, as our current ruling administration... she has show her ability to unite and energize half of the country. This is something the current administration as a whole... has been unable to accomplish.

Keep right on underestimating the party. ;)
I agree, which makes me disagree a little with Patrick. I am a Palin admirer, but she would not be my first candidate for president. However, this idea that the Pres must be some kind of lawyer-genius is just not true. Lot's of lawyer-geniuses have run us into the ground. I think running the country is much more about forming a good team than it is having the brilliance to micro-manage the country. I have no doubt Palin could run the country at least as well as Obama has, and I would certainly like her team better. Having said all of that, my personal preference from the current short list would be Romney.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
:thumbsup:

Lt. Col. Allen West

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I always hoped that Colin Powell would have ran. But he apparently wants no part of that job. Even if I was qualified to run, there is no amount of money that would make me run. I'd be in a sex scandal by the end of my first campaign stop! :laughing:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
President Obama will win a second term...:thumbsup:

Two years from now the Country will be into recovery on a large scale.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Not with the policies and the agenda we have had to endure over the last 20 months. If he is re-elected... it will be due to his changing ideology... not the country's.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I always hoped that Colin Powell would have ran. But he apparently wants no part of that job. Even if I was qualified to run, there is no amount of money that would make me run. I'd be in a sex scandal by the end of my first campaign stop! :laughing:
That's because your sex scandal has already happened ---- many times, but since you're not running for office no one cares (and that's a good thing).:laughing:

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Not with the policies and the agenda we have had to endure over the last 20 months. If he is re-elected... it will be due to his changing ideology... not the country's.
The clock is ticking....The future is unsure...:laughing:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
President Obama will win a second term...:thumbsup:
I really have to question the quality of the pot you're smoking. :laughing:

Democrats all over the country look at this man as if he's the plague, no one wants him to campaign for them because when he does they get blown out of the water. Others just don't like the guy or his policies.

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Rhode Island gubernatorial candidate Frank Caprio, in a radio interview Monday morning, reacted angrily to President Obama's decision not to endorse him during a visit to the Ocean State Monday.

"He can take his endorsement and really shove it as far as I'm concerned," Caprio told talk-show host John DePetro during an interview on WPRO-AM.
:laughing:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
:

Democrats all over the country look at this man as if he's the plague, no one wants him to campaign for them because when he does they get blown out of the water. Others just don't like the guy or his policies.

:laughing:
Just want your take on this though,

When the "Pubs" take back the House and the Senate, and If the right people are elected, they will begin the long jurney of making the tuff decisions that will take away alot of bennies for the poor and the Unions. won't that allow Barry to label the "Pubs" and the party who doesn't care about you (the public) and sour the idea of a Republican pres for 2012?

1 - 20 of 172 Posts