Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any input on what the correct "procedure" is for emergency braking and accident avoidance with an automatic transmission?

At the Spring Mountain session I attended, we were instructed that the brake and clutch are both put to the floor, effectively disengaging the drive train during the "panic stop". (And I killed a lot of Victor's nuns when I didn't engage the clutch! :laughing: ).

Obviously with an automatic, this won't happen. So what does one do?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
newer car...foot the floor breaking. tranny will freewheel. Lock up torque converters release on breaking.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
STOMP STAY STEER use two feet if ya have to but stomp on brake stay on brake and steer out of it .if its the big one.i used this 2 days ago a truck darts to the right lane and i see a road sign in middle of road another truck is on my right so i stomped stayed and got lucky steered to right lane i dumped enuf speed to let the other truck get by.it was a 9 on my pucker factor.i think you will find [i hope not] when its dying time left foot gets to the clutch and right gets to the brake years ago in a 280 zx a kid ran dead in front of me at 30 mph i stopped and he put his hand on my hood .the motor was red lined i hit every pedal at once.thank god a split second lax and i may have killed him.i was shaking for hours

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Anyone have any input on what the correct "procedure" is for emergency braking and accident avoidance with an automatic transmission?

At the Spring Mountain session I attended, we were instructed that the brake and clutch are both put to the floor, effectively disengaging the drive train during the "panic stop". (And I killed a lot of Victor's nuns when I didn't engage the clutch! :laughing: ).

Obviously with an automatic, this won't happen. So what does one do?
Hammer the brakes and look for an escape route. Focus where you want your car to go not what you may hit.

:cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. This one in particular answers what I couldn't figure out on my own:

newer car...foot the floor breaking. tranny will freewheel. Lock up torque converters release on breaking.
Didn't know that the AT would "freewheel", effectively doing the same thing as engaging the clutch.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts