Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on this forum!

My car didnt pass this years annual inspection.
The parking brake was to bad.
I got one month to fix it.

Eckler's want $90 for the ss shoes, and $60 for the other ss hardwares.

On Ebay I can have a complete kit for $60!
Have anyone of you used these kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120112610964&rd=1,1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130106936491&rd=1,1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130105093250&rd=1,1

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Just wanted to post a quick welcome and bump your thread up n hopes some of the C3 guys being able to help you out.
We'll try and get you some ideas:thumbsup: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I think as long as you're buying from a vendor with a good reputation you'll be fine. $60 for shoes and the mounting hardware seems cheap.... make sure it's complete so you're not getting surprised when you have it all apart...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Wilcox is a quality vendor, look at his feedback. I don`t know what that stuff is worth (no PB on my car) but it should be easy enough to look up on the Wilcox site or with a phone call...you might be surprised what they sell the kit for outright.
...redvetracr

OOPS!! missed the Sweden part....

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
the stainless shoes are shiat! they are arched completely wrong. The rest of the stainless kit is ncie as you will never have problems with rusted mechanics BUT!!! be aware. It does NOT include the large upper pivot bolt, the pivot bolt block and the washer/tab that goes under the bolt head and grabs into the pivot block. I had to order those separately.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
the stainless shoes are shiat! they are arched completely wrong. The rest of the stainless kit is ncie as you will never have problems with rusted mechanics BUT!!! be aware. It does NOT include the large upper pivot bolt, the pivot bolt block and the washer/tab that goes under the bolt head and grabs into the pivot block. I had to order those separately.

PERZACTLY what TT/Twinnie says is totally accurate....

having said THAT.....don't expect these P brakes to hold jack on any incline...

totally and woefully inadequate for even a 1500 lbs car....

serious....and with NO repreive, unless a complete redesign....

when you install the TT recomendations, just remember to drive it minimally, and tighten hell outta the cable just before inspection....

OH, jeex, and OBVIOUSLY loosen it up again so they don't burn out in normal driving.....

and yes, I"m serious....

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
The SS shoes I use have been fine. The star wheel should be faced so they can be collapsed more. When done there should be no dragging heard.
Just about all the places sell the same kit but Lonestar,I even have them here.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The parking brake is pretty much useless.... many say that...... unfortunately Gbak needs to have it working because they have inspections in Sweden... probably a lot stricter than here in the US.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Most people don't take the time to correctly install and adjust the parking brakes. You'll be surprised at how well they work when done right with the right parts.
A lot of the aftermarket shoes are arched wrong as TT mentioned. Even with OEM shoes I still had to take some off the adjustment wheel of an aftermarket SS hardware kit.
Follow the book on installing and adjusting the brakes, bed them in, and they'll serve you well, even if it is a pain in the a$$ :thumbsup:

·
Registered
966 Posts
I'm sure no brake expert (unless you spell it break :laughing: ). Wonder why an emergency brake like on the newer cars hasn't become available for older ones?? My truck has discs in the rear and it has an emergency brake that activates them. I woulda thunk aftermarket calipers would have that available by now for C3 Vettes.

DD

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I will order non ss shoes.
I'm not so familiar with parking brake stuff, how do that "large upper pivot bolt" and "washer/tab" look like?
Just so I will get all the right stuff at one time.......

when you install the TT recomendations, just remember to drive it minimally, and tighten hell outta the cable just before inspection....

OH, jeex, and OBVIOUSLY loosen it up again so they don't burn out in normal driving.....

and yes, I"m serious....
That was exacly what I did (tighten it up) , but it didn't help.
Left side was frozen, right side ok!
Got one month to fix the parking brakes.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks TwinTurbo!
Now it's compleatly clear!

Do you think I have to change the 5,6 and 7 parts.
Are they prone to rust or make the parking brake to freeze?

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
5 and 7 are usually fine but I always drop that stuff at the platers (can't stand rust), # 6 is usually rusted and thin, easy to break off the likttle teeth that engage in #6 to keep it in place, in which case you must replace it. If any, order 2 #6s just to be sure.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Thanks TwinTurbo!
Now it's compleatly clear!

Do you think I have to change the 5,6 and 7 parts.
Are they prone to rust or make the parking brake to froze?
I fought all this PB stuff some 12 years ago to get the car through a Maryland inspection, it was a PIA, and had to be done twice, on account of the SS shoes we used seemed to deform under pressure, and then lock themselves in place, not release right...the SS hardware was proven fine...
reverted to iron shoes, and not been an issue since....I keep them fairly loose because it's a automatic now, and I don't worry about using it....

the 5,6,7 parts were never changed and are fine.....but you need find out the overall condition of stuff under there....some cars can be a sea of rust...

your car may well be totally fine....

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
He's in Sweden and pretty much in the same boat as I am, if he comes out having to replace that little tab (#6) then he has to order it and wait for at least a week if he finds a helpful vendor (I always get that stuff from dan van steel and he always helps me get the stuff asap) so for the little $$ compared to what the rest costs it's wise to just order some.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought the car from US (westcoast) for more than 2 years ago, it had been garaged for 10 years before I got it.

There is no visible rust at all on other frame/suspension/brake parts, so I think there will be little rust if any on the parking brake parts.
But the parts might be 35 years old....

I was thinking of order the parts from Wilcox, they have all parts I need and they have decent prices.
Shipping cost and custom fees is a pain, but I can't do anything about it, if I want the parts within 10 days.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
I don't know if I'm allowed to say this (supporting vendors?) but I'd go to van steel, they are awesome. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Hey Mike :D

Got a quick q for you, is there a 1350 pinion yoke available for the C4 D44? I think the C4 uses a Dana 60 sized pinion but since I never had a D 60 apart I have no reference material to check..maybe you know?

Sorry ' bout the quick hijack guys :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts