Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i tighten the cable on the parking brake so i dont have to yank it all the way up for it to grab?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,770 Posts
The PB system is really junk and as been since day one. Now with that said I've rebuilt a fair share of them and I'm finishing up a set of arms now.
The hand lever is connected to the forward cable which connects to a threaded rod at the rear cross over cable. The threaded rod can be adjusted along with the PB shoes( if they are not rust seized as most are).
What happens a lot is the cable is adjusted to try and make up for those frozen shoes. Sometimes this works most times it streches the cable and it becomes useless.
If your PB system isn't working then jack up the cars and pull the wheels. Rotate the rotors until the adjustment hole is over the star wheel. Shoot some PB blaster on the star wheel only and see if it will move to expand the shoes. I reach around and press the cable lever to see if the shoes will tighten up. If the rivets are still in the rotor then the original shoes and hdwrd is there still.

Gary

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you i appreciate it a lot. im going to keep this thread so i can look back on it when i get a chance during the week to work on it. thanx again!

keith

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that thing that u are pointing at is that what u turn to loosen and tigten it?

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
gtr1999 said:
The PB system is really junk and as been since day one. Now with that said I've rebuilt a fair share of them and I'm finishing up a set of arms now.
The hand lever is connected to the forward cable which connects to a threaded rod at the rear cross over cable. The threaded rod can be adjusted along with the PB shoes( if they are not rust seized as most are).
What happens a lot is the cable is adjusted to try and make up for those frozen shoes. Sometimes this works most times it streches the cable and it becomes useless.
If your PB system isn't working then jack up the cars and pull the wheels. Rotate the rotors until the adjustment hole is over the star wheel. Shoot some PB blaster on the star wheel only and see if it will move to expand the shoes. I reach around and press the cable lever to see if the shoes will tighten up. If the rivets are still in the rotor then the original shoes and hdwrd is there still.

Gary

Good info Gary. I was just adjusting mine since I have had the motor/trans out of the car and had to pull the cable out of the way to remove the X member.

Question for you. My left shoes do something odd. All the hardware is new. When you pull the brake the lever the cable attaches to starts to move forward. The other end of it fits into a slot in the rearward shoe. For some reason it will jump out of that slot and render the left side parking brake inop. It is a mystery to me why? The shoe seems to have alot of room to float side to side (outside to center of the car). It seems as if it floats over to the outside of the car, then the lever slips out of the slot.

Any ideas on that one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts