·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"No one loves these vettes"

The lost Corvettes of Brooklyn
Digitalcorvettes.com exclusive photos!

By: Poncherello

After reading the article on NY Metro.com I decided I needed to see these cars that we all love so much.

I started my quest on Friday morning, I located what I thought was the garage after a lengthy search. The garage I located was locked and turned out to be the wrong location. I was thinking to myself on the way home, "there is no way I can just forget about this". So I started to research the area a little more and low and behold on Tuesday I located the condominium complex that housed this garage. After a brief chat with the security guard I was on my way to the parking spaces that time seems to have forgotten.

As I walked down the ramp into the darkened bowels of the building I couldn't help but wonder to myself "why has no one come to rescue these unattended prizes". Once inside I encountered a lone janitor who directed me to the garage manager. Having located the manager and inquired of these jewels....his initial response was "no corvettes in here", I thought to myself, "that can't be...this has to be the right place".

As the manager walked off I turned back to him and said, "Sir, I know it's been a while but I know this is where we parked them". He turned around with a smile and responded, "they're just where you left them, right over there". He pointed to the darkened corner of the garage to a chain link fence that seemed invisible at first glance. As I approached the gate there was a lone Corvette out side blanketed with 15 years of dirt and dust......fingered in the dust on the rear window was "No one loves these vettes", How true that seemed at the moment.

Once I opened the gate and stepped inside it was like stepping back in time. It was as if the world around us was non existent. It was surreal, I wasn't sure what to think At first I just squeezed between the cars parked bumper to bumper some touching the car in front or behind. I had never seen so much dirt and dust in my life. Walking by each car I noticed that on the driver seat was a single sheet of paper with the captions "Year, Make, Model, Description". The handwritten ink on each page was faded to the point that it became unreadable. As I stood there in the middle of history I just wondered why, why would anyone just leave these American icons uncared for and unloved.

These are original, unmolested examples of America's finest sports car. Each car looks to be in pristine condition except for some minor bumper damage on a few of the late 70's cars. Not even a tear in the upholstery of the older ones. Some of the mid 50's cars appear to sit on their original tires, flattened from years of no use. It seemed as if these cars screamed for attention, to be taken out and driven as they had originally been intended.

I silently walked through the cars, taking pictures and looking in the open windows at the seemingly haunted interiors. The side of nearly every car has a strip of paper taped to the side showing how Peter Max wants to paint them as part of his art project, a project he says he will revitalize. It's hard to believe that there are hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of vintage cars just discarded like broken toys.

It's enough to make one scream. The thirty minutes I spent there seemed like five. I was so overwhelmed that I know I didn't get every picture I wanted. I'll definitely be back there again. As I closed the gate and walked out past the manager he asked if I knew the owner......I responded, "no, I'm just someone who cared enough to come for a visit".

I hope you all enjoy looking at the pictures as much as I enjoyed taking them. Feel free to ask any questions you like.

Link to full size photos

·
Registered
81 Posts
I wonder what the chances are of these going up for sale? Of course the poor man (me) won't have a chance:smack

Was there any Big Block C2's? Do you think we could pose as the owners, and just tow all of them outta there :devil: Heck I'll drive from California to N.Y. to pick one up :agree:

·
Registered
0 Posts
Excellent work...

Should you and your IMF team choose to accept this assignment, your next challenge will be to get ahold of Peter Max to discuss getting these Vettes cleaned up by DC volunteers..

As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Ponch.

·
Super Moderator
10,062 Posts
Ponch,

Very well written and I'm sure the pics are very representative. Thank you for going to all the trouble.

I'm so stunned and saddened by the pics that I can't think of anything to ask right now. So many of them with windows down and interiors drying out. It looks like Max had already started to desecrate these wonderful cars. I hope he never has time to fulfill his talent-less, evil plans.

·
Registered
170 Posts
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How many were there? Is this the MTV give away? Where they gave away a vette for each year. Not sure what year that was, I just remember seeing them all on a transporter on MTV. Believe me I wanted to win that contest. This is awesome, someone needs to contact the owner and give these vettes come love. Ill take a C2 if they are giving them away. When should I come and get it? HAHA, I wish. What are the years? Great find. Would love to see more pics. What are the other cars in the back ground? Is this a parking garage? How many people know about this? I have some vette love to give.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sorry, I have another question. Why do they all or some have a stripe down the side of the cars. Several have about a 4" stripe that changes colors as it goes down the car. What is that?

·
I use man gel
4,402 Posts
Re: Excellent work...

c5d said:
Should you and your IMF team choose to accept this assignment, your next challenge will be to get ahold of Peter Max to discuss getting these Vettes cleaned up by DC volunteers..
I'm only 2 hours away, sign me up

·
Registered
5,115 Posts

P.S. Ponch: Arrest Peter Maxx for violating our senses!!!! Or at leastthrow him in back of the truck with the road kill.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Excellent thread and thank you Poncherello!

Poncherello, that was EXCELLENT!!!!!!!

Thank you for taking the time getting those pictures. This is gotta be one of the best threads I have ever seen here on DigitalCorvettes.

Any chance of putting this up as a sticky?

I think all the members here should see this. The title almost threw me off. I originally thought it was going to be about something else before I clicked on the thread as I was unsure what the title meant. But, boy was I pleasantly surprised!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Re: Excellent work...

c5d said:

As always, should you or any of your IM Force be caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions. This post will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Ponch.
I believe I have found my mission in life......

·
DC Crew
2,503 Posts
Thank you for getting those Pictures! Its really sad how someone can just let these amazing cars just sit there.

any plans on going back?
If you are it would be cool to know the Vin #s on the 53 & 55 because of their real limited productions.
Thanks again Ponch, you rock:thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
2,503 Posts
Vettecaster said:
Let's just hope Peter Max does not have another automotive Stonehenge in mind. :lookinup:
I believe if he did, enough of us DC members would show up at the location of this "stonehenge" that we would persuade him to not do it:cool:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Can't thank you enough Ponch! Seeing those relatively pristine C1's and C2's is heart wrenching knowing their intended fate. They deserve nothing less than meticulous restoration.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Great Job Ponch!!!!

It's just amazing that that many cars (and money) can sit idle for so long.

I'm sure with the publicity that these cars have gotten recently they'll turn up at a Barret-Jackson Auction.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
338 Posts
sorry guys

But I really hate it when someone treats vettes like that :bang

any deals in mind let me know guys :thumbsup:

stanleyp said:

P.S. Ponch: Arrest Peter Maxx for violating our senses!!!! Or at leastthrow him in back of the truck with the road kill.

Peter Maxx ... As said in Arabic " yel3an abook kalb" :lookinup:

1 - 20 of 292 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.