Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've long been a fan of dissolving the two party system because it limits the effectiveness of the popular vote by forcing us to choose the lesser evil. It seems like it is happening superficially with this election. Take a look at all the campaign ads, billboards, and other media. Notice how few candidates have their political affiliation included? Even fewer mention ANY party in their television ads. Most of this is for self-preservation due to the mudslinging in years past that has created a stigma around both parties, but perhaps some of them are realizing that we no longer want the appearance of choice in the election. We want real choices.

How about a thesis/contract based process? No ads and grandstanding and debates. Each candidate writes up a document detailing their ideology and intentions. We can read it and decide for ourselves who we like. When they are elected, that document becomes a binding contract with the people. Breach of that contract without just cause results in dismissal.

If I pay a plumber to replace a broken pipe and he adds a new shower instead, I'm not paying him for the shower. That was not in the contract. Why should we accept something less from our elected officials?

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
good in concept but I could care less what their ideology is. I want them to vote for my and my districts interests. If they can do that properly who care what they believe. I could care less.

That's the problem. we are loking at these people as who they are not what we hired them to do.

And when it comes to the president or any major elected office I don't give a rat's about them I think they should be required to list out who they are going to appoint to which positions 90 days prior to the elections.. As my tag line says I't not the king who rules---

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
I like the idea. It would certainly limit or eliminate special interest canidates. I'm not sure how'd you'd engineer the practicalities. i.e. Who gets to run? How the message gets distributed, how performance and intentions are rated for culpability, etc. off the top of my head.

I think a start would be honest and transparent campaign finance reform should be implemented immeditely. There should be a cap on the amount of money a campain can accept, with each donor being registered. Those donations need to be vetted by an independent third party. No more campaign contributions through pre-paid credit cards, etc. All contributions should be made visible with standardized vetting information published on a webpage for each candidate.

Then term limits for congress with no more pensions. After these guys go back to chasing ambulances they can derive thier pensions from that.

Unfortunately, the electoral process has degraded into a popularity contest and therefore you get the mudslinging as an attempt to deflect the issues and 'depopularize' the opposition. It might as well be an MTV Awards ceremony. The quality of the music or talent of the artist means nothing. It's only driven by how many 'units' are sold and by any means.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
You guys are describing the essence of the Tea party movement.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wrong target!

IMO ya'll/we are focused on wrong target!...

The MEDIA, provided incredible freedoms/rights by the Constitution, have shirked those rights and freedoms by becoming ideologues. What makes it MUCH worse is that we , as Americans have allowed it by being complacent. We do not hold the media accountable for their words and actions(nonverbal) communication. We must take on the attitude that if we hear a LIE, or an untrue inference or a facial gesture that we CALL them on it and make them prove their story. We must reread OUR Constitution and insist on the long journey to return us to our Constitutional principals.

Bugs

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
The only party around my area that is not advertising what party they are in is the Dems. :laughing: Every Pub has an Elephant on their sign, Every Lib....nothing. Seems some body is worried of being associated with their own party. :nuts:

·
Super Moderator
8,498 Posts
The only party around my area that is not advertising what party they are in is the Dems. :laughing: Every Pub has an Elephant on their sign, Every Lib....nothing. Seems some body is worried of being associated with their own party. :nuts:

:thumbsup::D, when the voters get smarter, and start paying attention, it tends to show

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
:thumbsup::D, when the voters get smarter, and start paying attention, it tends to show
:agree: Especially the paying attention part. As in, they're doing what with my money???

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
:agree: Especially the paying attention part. As in, they're doing what with my money???
That would still only constitute 50%, as the other half has no visible money earned to pay into taxes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts