1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use one or the other or both?

What are you opinions?

Thanks

·
DC Crew
32,977 Posts
There was a big write up about these heads in Car Craft a few months ago. If I remember I'll scan and post the article.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a big write up about these heads in Car Craft a few months ago. If I remember I'll scan and post the article.
Thanks. Do you remember the basic result? Good, bad, indifferent?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Anyone use one or the other or both?

What are you opinions?

Thanks
I've installed several sets of Patriot heads that customers have supplied me with to put on for them(Mostly the CNC'd SBC heads, and LSX heads, Ect...) ...IME, Patriot's CNC work (IE: Port finish and placement) and their casting quality just isn't quite at the level of an Air Flow Research or a Trickflow type casting head like Im used to dealing with, but then again there "SO" much cheaper, so I suppose that's to be expected.....also, from the one's I've personally flow-benched, their advertised numbers are inflated quite a bit...but other (even larger) companies are guilty of this sort of stuff as well...... So, I would definitely say that there not a bad head at all for the money, but like mentioned, just not at the level of the AFR's or TFS stuff.........I've also used the Scorpion rockers on some set-ups for people.......they're a really good rocker(for aluminum) and work and last fine.....But to be honest, with rockers like the Comp Cams Pro-Magnum rockers(which are chrome-moly steel)...there's just not much reason to go with an aluminum rocker these days.....the comps are even lighter at the valve than the aluminum rockers, and well over three times as strong so they don't flex and have deflection issues like the aluminum ones can.......It's all just preference what you want and how strong you want things to be....But, One thing for certain, if your gonna go thru the expense of purchasing new rockers , go for the ones for 7/16 studs(not 3/8)....and also try to stay away from the "self aligning" type of rockers if you want supreme reliability.......good luck............Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've installed several sets of Patriot heads that customers have supplied me with to put on for them(Mostly the CNC'd SBC heads, and LSX heads, Ect...) ...IME, Patriot's CNC work (IE: Port finish and placement) and their casting quality just isn't quite at the level of an Air Flow Research or a Trickflow type casting head like Im used to dealing with, but then again there "SO" much cheaper, so I suppose that's to be expected.....also, from the one's I've personally flow-benched, their advertised numbers are inflated quite a bit...but other (even larger) companies are guilty of this sort of stuff as well...... So, I would definitely say that there not a bad head at all for the money, but like mentioned, just not at the level of the AFR's or TFS stuff.........I've also used the Scorpion rockers on some set-ups for people.......they're a really good rocker(for aluminum) and work and last fine.....But to be honest, with rockers like the Comp Cams Pro-Magnum rockers(which are chrome-moly steel)...there's just not much reason to go with an aluminum rocker these days.....the comps are even lighter at the valve than the aluminum rockers, and well over three times as strong so they don't flex and have deflection issues like the aluminum ones can.......It's all just preference what you want and how strong you want things to be....But, One thing for certain, if your gonna go thru the expense of purchasing new rockers , go for the ones for 7/16 studs(not 3/8)....and also try to stay away from the "self aligning" type of rockers if you want supreme reliability.......good luck............Joe:thumbsup:
dammit, I ordered the rockers already. I can probably sell them and get the comp cams. Some guys on another forum are looking for rockers.

As far as Patriot goes, I called them. They tell me that heads are not the only business they are in so they are supported by other means. In terms of volume, again according to them, they are buying 20,000 valves a month. That they put out quantities that dwarf AFR and Trick Flow. That's why they are cheaper.

I don't know if I''m being fed a line of **** or not....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts