Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the patriot side pipes on summit and was wondering if anyone has ever tried these. Are they any good? the ones I'm talking about are the ones that are around 200 bucks and are "universal". if anyone has used them what kind of headers did you have. I have full length headers and was wondering if that would even work with their side pipes and if it did what length to get. any help would be awesome thanks.

here is a pic of what it looks like

hmm the pic isnt working for some reason....oh well
here is the link
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H1050/?rtype=10

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I like that style of side pipes...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
They hang low and are quite restrictive on flow. :down:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you had them on your 79 blcksvr79? I'm trying to look for a cheaper alternative then spending close to 1000 dollar on side pipes. is anyone selling or getting rid of theirs? thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
I bought a set for my 75...then sold them on real quick!

To fit you need pretty much an 's' bend in the system and the flow is really restricted. I will see if I can find a pic of the tubes to show that.

I have a 79 now and if I cant get a set of decent sidepipes, I,ll go for a good under car system.

What about the stainless system that was available on here not so long ago? Fit was supposedly better than hookers and they looked cool.

I know if you are on a budget its hard but no point restricting your motor just for cheap looks and a half decent sound.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I bought a set for my 75...then sold them on real quick!

To fit you need pretty much an 's' bend in the system and the flow is really restricted. I will see if I can find a pic of the tubes to show that.

I have a 79 now and if I cant get a set of decent sidepipes, I,ll go for a good under car system.

What about the stainless system that was available on here not so long ago? Fit was supposedly better than hookers and they looked cool.

I know if you are on a budget its hard but no point restricting your motor just for cheap looks and a half decent sound.
There's nothing better than Hooker, IMO ...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-2224-1HKR/?rtype=10
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOK-65284HKR/?rtype=10

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Hey GEM, I just picked up a set of black Hooker
headers that go all the way out to the side of my 81
and tie right into the black side pipes with the mufflers already in the pipes.

I bought them on Craigslist from a guy out in the
MidWest for $300.00 including the shipping. If you try
Craigslist or e-bay you'll probably be able to find a good used set or a new set that someone decided not to install.

I have not as yet put mine on. I'm working on something else presently. They will be going on fairly soon though.

Unfortunately, Craiglook, which was the better place to search is no longer on the internet as of yesterday.
If I get a hit on a set, I'll post it for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow what a deal! that would be perfect. for 300?! thats awesome. I check ebay all the time but they are way above my prce range right now. I check craigslist as well but I guess I should look around instead of just colorado area. if you find some I would really appreciate a heads up thanks

also thanks you everyone else for your input as well.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
have you had them on your 79 blcksvr79? I'm trying to look for a cheaper alternative then spending close to 1000 dollar on side pipes. is anyone selling or getting rid of theirs? thanks
No. I have Hookers.
I've seen them installed though and like others have said, they just don't fit well. I'd save up for some Hookers or do an under car system before I'd buy Patriots.

I found my headers on Ebay for $350 and my side tubes in a different auction for $200. Both where brand new. :thumbsup:

With sts baffles and Steel Shields, I'm just at a grand.

Personally, I'd look at a set of Custom Images pipes here on DC if I where to do it again. Stainless for the price of black Hookers. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah for sure. I'm definetly going for hooker now. I gave up on the patriot thing completely. I found some stainless headers for 175 on craigslist but i havent got an answer back yet. crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
yeah for sure. I'm definetly going for hooker now. I gave up on the patriot thing completely. I found some stainless headers for 175 on craigslist but i havent got an answer back yet. crossing my fingers.
Take your time and keep looking.
Hookers pop up all the time lightly used for under $500.
When your in no hurry is when the deals show up. (Or when you don't have the money in hand) :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
4,944 Posts
I have them on my 76. They are mounted to the factory intake manifold, using the s-pipe mentioned earlier. They look good and sound really old-school cool, but they do hang very low. They bottom out on speed bumps, slight inclines, etc. I'll likely replace mine with Hookers or the factory replicas when I repaint the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah I see what u mean when you say they hang low. Yeah I decided to go with hooker even if i have to save for a little while to get them. they look good though. nice vette vettcop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks 1stvtt1981, I appreciate all the help. I'll look on ebay now and hopfully i'll have some luck:partyon:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts