Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guy's.

Local C5 buddy (JohnnyC5) sent me some info on the PCV Mod.
After a quick read-up, we thought it'd be a good idea to install this mod on our C5's this weekend.
After a trip to Home Depot for the parts, we installed the mod on our cars.

We both after about 100 kms of normal driving, noted about half to a teaspoon of oily like substance in the filter jar. :surprised

Anyone here with any opinions?
I've got a '03 Z06 with only 1500 kms, and I was surprised to see that much oil that was filtered out of the line into the intake, even after some granny driving. I check my oil frequently, and it's still topped off to the full mark after I noted the oil, so I'm not too concerned about oil consumption.
Hate to see what would collect after a track event.......:(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Suprised some of you don't know about it.

Apparently under hard acceleration, the LS1 & LS6's tend to injest oil into the intake, which is not a good thing.

This easy to do mod removes any oil vapour that may seep into the intake.

After installing, both JohnnyC5 and myself found approx. 1/2 teaspoon of oily like substance, and speaking for myself, after 100 kms. of just normal driving.....:surprised

If the LS's injest this much oil into the intake, IMO, this mod's a must.

Basically what it does, and instructions I used this link:
PCV Install Instructions

B

·
0 Posts
Hmmm...interesting. Seems that little of oil getting into intake is a trivial amount.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Hmmm.....I'm thinking that the little bit of oil is a good thing. Back in my Harley Davidson days we used to drip a few drops into the gas tank now and then to help keep things lubed up:D

I'm thinking those crankcase "vapors" are composed of oil to some degree, and every PCV ever made has put that back into the intake without any harm, but much benefit because your clearing the crank case of pressure and burning off the nasty goop.

Does this have anything to do with the oil burning(or loss) I heard about as common the C5's?

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,667 Posts
funny this came up,im reading that alot of quarter mile regulars are going back to stock after doing this mod,some say more knock retard,some say for whatever reason there time is off a tenth with this mod installed.i agree with biltogo,the system is doing its job,the vapors are collecting in the jar instead of being recycled,in the non smog days we used to run the hose into the exhaust pipe to burn off the fumes.this is also why i clean my throttle body alot,get rid of the varnish on the throttle blade.it will build up after just a couple thousand miles.
one other thing,about a month ago i removed my thottle boby,ported,polished(2000 grit)ground off throttle blade screws,and the huge PCV tunnel i filled with liquid weld,let dry and drilled a 1/4 inch hole threw it.when i cleaned my throttle body this weekend,it had almost no varnish on the blades,i think its related.i think i remember something about changing to a different PCV part number,i only lose maybe a quarter of a quart between oil changes,i drag race a lot.just my experience,later,Todd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts