Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think these gears ...would be OK for the street.....they sound sooooo sweet....
Let me know...
thanks
tony

·
resident conservative
1,039 Posts
It's not worth it the sound is a cop magnet, as they think it a full race engine and the hassle starts. sides its a waste of money for the street.

·
Registered
10 Posts
oldace84 said:
Do you think these gears ...would be OK for the street.....they sound sooooo sweet....
Let me know...
thanks
tony
:buhbye: If your car has a knock sensor... the answer is no! :(

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Re: Re: Pete Jackson Gears????

INTIMIDATOR said:
:buhbye: If your car has a knock sensor... the answer is no! :(
What do they do to mess with the knock sensor?
My brother has them in his Camaro (no knock sensor)and yes they do sound sweet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It will make the ECM think there's a problem with your engine and retard timing. That's just what I've heard, because I wanted to put one in my '90 Vette... They do sound sweet. I have one in my 454 and it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe you should still ask someone else... because I still would like to install a set in my L98 or LT1... if it's possible I just didn't want to buy the gear drive and then not be able to use it. But it kind of makes sense that the noise coming from the gear drive would make the knock sensor give the ECM a false signal. Joe

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went ahead and installed.....didn't sound like a blower.....sounded AAGH....
Now I have to replace with a double roller timming chain...double the work....but at least now I know....
Too many parts laying around my garage.....
tony

·
Super Moderator
8,498 Posts
the noisy version will drive your knock sensor totally nut, IM running the quite version in my full roller 383 11:1 compression corvette now, its really not a big benefit, its slightly more noise (but liveable) than ta cloyes true roller. but yes it does work IF YOU GET THE QUITE VERSION. but again not a big plus in any way, or for that matter it does not hurt anything either

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But the sound was to be everything and the reason to install...
You know what I mean....Oh well....
tony

·
Obsessive Customizer
535 Posts
Knock sensor is a prob, gear drive won't work. If you really want a gear drive (as I did) do what I did...replace the motor with an older block and put dual carbs on it! Sweeeet sound and ooh the hp!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts