Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of coilovers a long time ago and just got around to installing them on my '01 Z.

So heres the deal. The car was lowered previously on the stock suspension. I got the coilovers to go lower, and obtain a better ride quality.

The ride quality is much improved, but the problem I am having, is that the front doesn't sit any lower and is actually slightly higher than it was before. The wheels are 19" and should fill the fenders nicely. Anybody have any suggestions or comments as to why this may be, or how to lower it more.

I will add pictures later this afternoon when I can. Thanks

·
Registered
964 Posts
I bought a set of coilovers a long time ago and just got around to installing them on my '01 Z.

So heres the deal. The car was lowered previously on the stock suspension. I got the coilovers to go lower, and obtain a better ride quality.

The ride quality is much improved, but the problem I am having, is that the front doesn't sit any lower and is actually slightly higher than it was before. The wheels are 19" and should fill the fenders nicely. Anybody have any suggestions or comments as to why this may be, or how to lower it more.

I will add pictures later this afternoon when I can. Thanks
A few things A. whats the measurement of the gap between the fenders and tires...B. need a pic of the side of the car to see what you are talking about....C. how long has the new suspension been in it may need to settle still. D. make sure the bushings in the front coil overs where installed correctly for instance if you put the an extra metal washer below the mount on the frame it will mount the rod for the coil over lower thus bringing the ride hight higher in the front, so even lowering the adjustment, the car will sit higher.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few things A. whats the measurement of the gap between the fenders and tires...B. need a pic of the side of the car to see what you are talking about....C. how long has the new suspension been in it may need to settle still. D. make sure the bushings in the front coil overs where installed correctly for instance if you put the an extra metal washer below the mount on the frame it will mount the rod for the coil over lower thus bringing the ride hight higher in the front, so even lowering the adjustment, the car will sit higher.
Ok, A. ground to fender in front is 26.75" and fender to tire is 1.5"
Ground to fender in rear is 26.5" and fender to tire is less than half an inch. Ideally where I would like to be all around.

B. I have taken a pic, just need to upload, will do so shortly.

C. The suspension has been in since last night (3-19-11). I've probably put about 50 or so miles on it so far.

D. Everything should be installed correctly. However, Pfadt did not send the correct front bushings so I had to modify and use the stock bushings. As a result however, the shock sits a little higher than it would have normally using the pfadt components. I was expecting it to sit even lower than before, just because of the way the shock is sitting in the frame.

Also, I threaded the lower cup into the shock body all the way. For maximum drop. Thanks.

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
Did you make any changes to the front spring perch location? Did you add any pre-load?

Give the Pfadt's a call, for best advice. But, seems like if you lowered the spring perch and locking nut a 1/4", you should get another 1/2" drop. Assuming too much pre-load here... I think a 1/2 turn of preload is the starting point.

Also, unrelated, hopefully you double checked that the main coilover nut was torqued to 75 lbs on all 4 coilovers.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the pictures.

These are the bushings supplied for the front coilovers. However, The bushing needs to be thin enough to fit in the hole of the frame mount. Otherwise the coilover would move around in this hole. This is why I had to modify and use the stock bushings.

Pictures of ride height the next day after about 50-60 miles of driving.

Front

Back

Front again.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you make any changes to the front spring perch location? Did you add any pre-load?

Give the Pfadt's a call, for best advice. But, seems like if you lowered the spring perch and locking nut a 1/4", you should get another 1/2" drop. Assuming too much pre-load here... I think a 1/2 turn of preload is the starting point.

Also, unrelated, hopefully you double checked that the main coilover nut was torqued to 75 lbs on all 4 coilovers.
Yea, I was considering lowering the spring perch nut, but per the instructions this should not be needed unless a "light race car". I had assumed this should not have needed adjusting. But I may do that, to get a little more height out of it.

Also, nuts were torqued to 75 INCH pounds as it suggested.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yea, I was considering lowering the spring perch nut, but per the instructions this should not be needed unless a "light race car". I had assumed this should not have needed adjusting. But I may do that, to get a little more height out of it.

I think you just figured out your problem with out us. The spring purch nut is how you adjust the ride hight correct? If you can still lower it then, lower it The spring load will not change and the car should ride of those shocks are designed to work at what ever hight you set them to. BUT call phadt and make sure thats ok you dont want to mess them up...also are the new camaro shocks and the corvette shocks that same type of design? Could they have sent you the wrong fronts? The shocks for the front of the car are a pretty common design c5 shocks will fit right into a chevelle with out modding. I used c5 front shocks on my 69 chevelle.

·
Registered
964 Posts

I think you just figured out your problem with out us. The spring purch nut is how you adjust the ride hight correct? If you can still lower it then, lower it The spring load will not change and the car should ride of those shocks are designed to work at what ever hight you set them to. BUT call phadt and make sure thats ok you dont want to mess them up...also are the new camaro shocks and the corvette shocks that same type of design? Could they have sent you the wrong fronts? The shocks for the front of the car are a pretty common design c5 shocks for example will fit right into a chevelle with out modding. I used c5 front shocks on my 69 chevelle.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you just figured out your problem with out us. The spring purch nut is how you adjust the ride hight correct? If you can still lower it then, lower it The spring load will not change and the car should ride of those shocks are designed to work at what ever hight you set them to. BUT call phadt and make sure thats ok you dont want to mess them up...also are the new camaro shocks and the corvette shocks that same type of design? Could they have sent you the wrong fronts? The shocks for the front of the car are a pretty common design c5 shocks for example will fit right into a chevelle with out modding. I used c5 front shocks on my 69 chevelle.
I believe the correct way to adjust height is by threading the lower mounting cup further onto the shock body... however, it would make sense that lowering the spring perch nut slightly would also lower the car.

Also, the bushing at the top of this shock is what should have been sent, but that has nothing to do with the ride height I don't think.

Also, I checked the camaro shocks, and they appeared to be quite different from the C5.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Well there certainly appear to be a lot of questions here! :D

First off, the Camaro and Corvette coilovers are very different from each other, there really is no way to mix up the two. If you've got the coilovers installed on the car there is no way you could actually have a set of Camaro pieces.

This picture posted is definitely one of our coilovers, but we are now using a different mounting system. There is no step in the bushing, and the bushings pictured here are the correct pieces. There should be 6 bushings sent out with the kit, 4 with part number P1374 and 2 with part number P1373. If you're installing the coilovers on a C5 you use P1374 on all for corners, if you're installing the coilovers on an Aluminum frame car (C6Z/ZR1) you use P1373 in the front, and P1374 in the rear. We provide bushings for both chassis so the kit is universal for C5/C6/C6Z/ZR1.

These bushings do not need to go through the hole in the mounting plate like the stock piece does, the gray bearing surface rides on the bottom side of the mount, and the poly bushing on the top. If you've installed the OEM or modified OEM bushings with our product you are effectively raising the ride height of the car by the height of the shoulder of the bushing. You should really tear the mounts apart immediately and get the correct bushing in there before there is damage to either the gray delrin ball, or your OEM mount. Here is a link to our install instructions, take a good look at page 2 for a cut away illustration of how the upper mounts should be setup:

http://www.pfadtracing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Coil-Over-Instructions-12-7-10.pdf

It sounds like your install has it correct, the torque spec is 75 INCH pounds. Those nuts do not require very much torque at all.

You're absolutely correct, the ride height is set by lowering the lower cup that's threaded onto the shock body. If you get the mounts swapped out and find that the ride height is still a little too high, you can lower the spring perches and get a little bit more drop out of the system.

If you've got any questions please feel free to call us! We can be reached M-F 9-5pm Mountian standard time at 888-972-2464.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts