Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want some cool shots of your Vette, here are a few tips to help you out and get you thinking.

1. Lay down on the ground and get a nice low shot. This gives you a great perspective that most people don't see.

2. 3/4 shots are another favorite. Make sure you turn your wheels so the rims show for a more dramatic effect.

Combine #1 and #2 and you end up with a picture like my avatar.

3. Watch your lighting and try avoiding backlighting (light is behind the subject). Backlighting will produce shadows that will diminsh the detail of the subject.

4. Look in car magazines. Find images you like and figure out where the photographer was in order to take the picture.

5. Focus on details unique to your Vette. Sometimes taking a picture of one portion of your Vette will result in a more dramatic photo as compared to a full shot of your Vette.

6. Watch your back and fore ground!!! A tree directly behind your Vette will make it look like the tree is growing out of the car or taking a photo in your back yard with other houses or garages in view. These are distractions to your eye and take away from the real subject of the photo. Make the picture about your subject, not the back and fore ground.

Just some ideas to get you thinking about taking pictures of your pride and joy that differ from the average photo.

These tips also work with any subjects, from your kids to a family vacation. Happy shooting. :D

·
Extra Crispy
5,119 Posts
Great tips!

Forgot to add to get a desent camera. I have always bought descent 35mm cameras. But was cheap when getting a digital camera, and you can tell. Have some great shots with crappy clarity. Learned my lesson.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, the camera has a lot to do with, ESPECIALLY the lens. The lens will make or break a camera. You can have the best camera but, if the lens is of poor quality or cheaply made, you will never get the crisp and sharp pictures you want.

A lot of the tips I posted are common sense but, we all can get distracted and forget to frame the shot correct like not paying attention to your background.

It's been a long time since I was really into photography but, it's nice to be taking pictures again with a high quality camera. When I was overseas with the Navy years ago, I was my ships photographer and had the luxury of running around Europe with a $3500 Nikon set-up (for training purposes) and lots of high speed B&W film. I've got some great shots with very dramtic effects.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Good info, thanks for the tips. :)

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eddie 70 said:
Great tips. I will try to keep these in mind. For Christmas I bought my wife the new Rebel Digital. Should be fun learning some new stuff. This makes 2 digital cameras in the house. Either one will make some nice shots if we can figure them out.
I bought my Rebel Digital a couple of weeks ago, I LOVE IT!!! It's a great camera, your wife is a lucky lady. Hopefully see lets you borrow it. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts