Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone knew of a particular vette reference that explains the differences in the dimensions and measurements of the c3s. Being that all we have of the 76 is the body shell, one of my buddys asked why we couldnt make it a chrome bumper, being that the only real difference that would be seen is in the gills. All I could say was 'I dunno. ya just cant.' All Ive ever really heard on this subject was that the fitment is different, and its more than just fabricating brackets. Heck, even that info probably came from you guys in one of the other many dumb questions Ive asked lol.

Anyhow, since most of the books I have are based on the 76 model year, I dont have the specifics to answer his question correctly. Is there any specific book that would have that kind of comparision?

Just in the way of update on that project... The 76 is starting to move along. The title work is good. The cabin is stripped of the moldy and decayed former carpet. The rusted out floorpans are in the proccess of being replaced, as is all the other trim rust. Im driving down to georgia in a week or two to pick up a donor frame and hopefuly a drivers door. My goal is by july to have a body that is ready for painting, and a frame that at least has suspension and wheels that we can push around the shop without a dolly. Theres alot to do, but its worth it. Im hoping to have some pics of the proccess by the end of the month too. That way everyone can be like " :WTF what kind of project did you take on!" :laughing:

thanks guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

Here ya go. Good reading even if you're not buying. Good information on model year changes.

Swapping to chrome on a rubber bumper car is probably more than you want to fool with and will be expensive. All the mounting bracketry and bodywork changed with the rubber bumper cars, none of which swaps to the earlier cars. Purchase a 68-72 AIM and a '76 AIM. Compare the bumper installations on the two and you'll get an idea what you're up against.

Frames are different, too. http://www.71corvette.com/frames.html

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys. More reading time for me :thumbsup: Seems I spend as much time in the books as I do in the garage :laughing:

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
Basically, the chopped the front and rear fiberglass ends off of the body and added rubber. To make it a chrome bumper car you will have to graft on the fiberglass front and rear to start with.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
and change the frame, the rear section is different and the frame extention from the horns forward is different also. Need to find front crossmember and nose support (big bracket in the center), $$$$$ would be easier to just buy a beater chrome bumper

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Id love to have a black, chrome bumper 454 convertible one day... but not today. Thats probably 30-40k that I dont have lol. I dont see us going the chrome bumper road with this project, it just bothered me not to have the explination that situation required. Ever notice when you buy an old vette (or any old rod for that matter) your friends automaticly assume you know everything about them?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Uh Huh!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts