I'm betting both now. Very Cool.
Jim and Sam both helped out greatly. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Now is this cool or what.

Lift from outside of the garage.

Now the garage needs a little clean-up. :stick:

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
If you don't hear the sound of crushing fiberglass in the middle of the night, you did good!

Also, I'm jealous as hell.:whip:

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Originally posted by Patrick96LT4 ...<br>
If you don't hear the sound of crushing fiberglass in the middle of the night, you did good!

Also, I'm jealous as hell.:whip:<br>

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :agree:

Really nice. Congrats and enjoy. :)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

The sound of crushing fiberglass in the middle of the night would not be good. Lets hope I didn't hear that since I'll be very :( The scary part is didn't this happen to someone that had a lift?

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I got 1 question. How does it go up and down. Is il like a floor jack or what?? And are there like Pins to hold in in place.:huh:

·
DC Crew
1,470 Posts
There is a light at the end of the tunnel. It is now known as a four post light.

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
Originally posted by ragvette ...<br>
Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

The sound of crushing fiberglass in the middle of the night would not be good. Lets hope I didn't hear that since I'll be very :( The scary part is didn't this happen to someone that had a lift?

:cheers:<br>
Yea, some guy on CF had a lift collapse in one corner, causing his C5 to come down on his C3. Or the other way around.

My question is... how the heck do you get one car off another while it's in a garage and between the two is sandwiched a broken lift? Not like you can get a crane in there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great looking setup!!!!!!!!!

I have a few questions........

I have a 3rd car garage and have been thinking of doing what you have done some time in the future.

Could you give me your ceiling height dimensions, and or the maximum height needed for the lift to accomodate 2 c4's?

Did you have to modify your garage door tracks and raise them closer to the ceiling, or is that the way they came?

Do you have a special garage door opener that opens the door from the side, or do you open the door by hand?

I currently have a ceiling mounted garage door opener and probably would have to get a different one.

Thanks in advance!:D

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Patrick96LT4 ...<br>
My question is... how the heck do you get one car off another while it's in a garage and between the two is sandwiched a broken lift? Not like you can get a crane in there.<br>
Good question. I'm hoping I won't need to know. :D

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
I recently heard that ther is a "new" garage door opener that "hugs the ceiling. I'll try to back track and find out a brand or specs.

For those asking dimensions of the garage, take a minute and find a few of the manufacturers of these lifts on line. they usually have all the info you will need as there are a bunch of options.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by USPRIDE ...<br>
Great looking setup!!!!!!!!!

I have a few questions........

I have a 3rd car garage and have been thinking of doing what you have done some time in the future.

Could you give me your ceiling height dimensions, and or the maximum height needed for the lift to accomodate 2 c4's?

Did you have to modify your garage door tracks and raise them closer to the ceiling, or is that the way they came?

Do you have a special garage door opener that opens the door from the side, or do you open the door by hand?

I currently have a ceiling mounted garage door opener and probably would have to get a different one.

Thanks in advance!:D<br>

My ceiling height is around 11' 6" and as you can see from the pics I'm using most of it. You can make it work with less if required. The manufacturer of the lift I think recommends 10’.

Regarding the garage door I had a special kit installed called a "high-lift" kit. That's what the builder called it. What it does it pushes the height of the raised door more towards the ceiling.

Getting the garage door up/down is just done by hand. Was looking into getting a garage door opener but standard ones will not work with the "high-lift" kit. I've been told I'll need to get a side mounted garage door opener. It really hasn't been a pain so that's on the list of things to do for next spring.

If you want exact measurements or pics of anything just yell :thumbsup:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Congrats on your lift. My 4 post was one of my best purchases.

For the question about how much ceiling is needed to store 2 C4's.

The answer is not much. You can get by with just over 8 feet but I think you would like to be able to get out of the bottom car with out distorting your body. :) I can have my lift all the way to the top and my wife can drive her 2001 Monte SS under it and still clear the roof by ten inches. She is 5'5" and can walk under the lift with out ducking (very important. :D )
I can do all this with only 9'6" of needed room. I have a 10' ceiling and my flourescent lights hang down about 4 inches. So, I have a whole 2" to spare. :D

T

·
0 Posts
This was a really important thread. No BS. Thanks for the pics and info. A four poster is definately on my list of things to do. And info like this makes it just that much closer.

See, you have already done the hardest part. The thinking... hehehe...

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Tour18 ...<br>
This was a really important thread. No BS. Thanks for the pics and info. A four poster is definately on my list of things to do. And info like this makes it just that much closer.

See, you have already done the hardest part. The thinking... hehehe...<br>

No problem :thumbsup:

Getting the lift put together was a big project. Don't believe the salesperson that it's just 8 bolts and 2 or 3 hours and your done. We started at 11:00am and completed everything around 5:00pm. Without some major help it would have taken me much longer.

Just getting the lift was a pain. I rented a trailer so I could pickup the lift at a Yellow Freight location. The fork-lift at Yellow Freight dropped the single 1600lb package onto my trailer. Could got it delivered directly to the house but I would have needed four guys sitting around until Yellow Freight showed up. Since they only delivered M thru F everyone would need to take a day off of work.

Some of the pieces of the lift are extremely heavy which required three guys to get into position when installing it.

The directions where o.k. but could be better. The company should have warned me that I would need 3 gallons of hydraulic fluid before I could operate the lift. So a run to the nearest Home-Depot and buying the only three gallons they had was just plain luck. Of course the hydraulic fluid is not shipped with the lift.

An installation video would be a great feature to have but they don't have one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts