Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

C5 Goes Le Mans: Commemorative Edition Corvette joins 50th fanfare

By MAC MORRISON

Chevrolet will produce a 2004 Commemorative Edition Corvette Z06 in honor of the company’s 2001 and 2002 GTS class victories at Le Mans. Although it will be produced
in limited numbers, the car begins to atone for disappointment surrounding the understatedness of the 2003 50th Anniversary Corvette.

The Le Mans Corvette dons special badging and the same blue, silver and red paint scheme that will appear on the race cars entered in this year’s French enduro.

More importantly, the vehicle wears a carbon fiber hood, marking the first use of carbon fiber as a painted exterior panel on a vehicle produced in North America, according to GM.

The new hood weighs 20.5 pounds, 10.6 pounds lighter than the standard piece. The 5.7-liter V8 remains untouched, but Corvette engineers spent considerable time revising the Z06’s shock damping, with much development done at the Nurburgring. The revised
suspension will appear on all 2004 Z06s, but the hood will not. Commemorative Edition base coupes and convertibles will also be available, but with cosmetic changes only.

Due to production issues surrounding the carbon fiber hood, Chevrolet is still working out how many Commemorative Z06s will be made, estimating the figure to be “a couple thousand.” The company will tack on a $3,000-to-$5,000 price hike over the standard Z06 when the car goes on sale in August—by which time Chevy hopes to have another Le Mans victory under its belt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's nice to see GM going in the right direction by starting the use of carbon fiber body pieces. Hopefully the C6 will have greater use of carbon fiber to really lighten the corvette.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,412 Posts
ragvette said:
Another vette w/Stickers :rolleyes: Show me more hp and then maybe I would even think about it.

The C6 better kick some azz when it comes out.
I agree. going fast is a matter of horsepower. Stickers DO NOT produce Horsepower

O

·
0 Posts
They are obviously not bumping up the horsepower for fear it will step on the toes of the C6 HP #s.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,412 Posts
If they would just add 10 hp a year it wouldn't be long before we could push the 500 mark

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Torch Red 2K said:
I agree. going fast is a matter of horsepower. Stickers DO NOT produce Horsepower
going fast does not just have to do with horsepower....it also has to do with weight....which GM has reduced slightly....the sickers are on there so people can spot the car easier

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,412 Posts
1FastZ06 said:
Yeah...but 5 grand for a carbon fiber hood? :huh:
It does seem a little high to save 10 pounds If they would put the 5K into engine it would more than offset the weight savings

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
i think the price is a bit high...but its factory that’s what some people are looking for...i was disagreeing with the post that going fast has to do solely with horsepower which just isn't true

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,412 Posts
You are right. There ARE other things than horsepower. In racing, whether it is drag, circle, road or whatever there are more variables than can be listed here but if you took 2 cars that were identical except that one made 200hp and the other made 400hp the higher hp cars would have the advantage.. That is kinf of the reasoning that came up with the IROC series. All the cars were the same so it really pitted the drivers against each other. Personally if the General made 2 cars, one with a carbon fiber hood and the other with a fiberglass hood with 100 hp more both of which had a $5000 premium, I would probably go with the fiberglass hood and the higher hp:)

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
Torch Red 2K said:
You are right. There ARE other things than horsepower. In racing, whether it is drag, circle, road or whatever there are more variables than can be listed here but if you took 2 cars that were identical except that one made 200hp and the other made 400hp the higher hp cars would have the advantage.. That is kinf of the reasoning that came up with the IROC series. All the cars were the same so it really pitted the drivers against each other. Personally if the General made 2 cars, one with a carbon fiber hood and the other with a fiberglass hood with 100 hp more both of which had a $5000 premium, I would probably go with the fiberglass hood and the higher hp:)

i would too in a heartbeat.....i'm just saying it think this is a step in the right direction for more use by general motors with carbon fiber....they are taking a small step...and using real world testing at the expense of there customers....i think they are leary of making a whole car out of carbon fiber charging an arm and a leg for it and then finding a huge flaw in it....i think this project is more for them to do real world testing while making money at it...this will help them get the paint process as good as they can on there budget (i would say perfect) that i why i think this car is a step in the right direction for GM...i'm not disagreeing with the fact that the price is pretty high...but you have to look at he startup cost they are incuring and trying to recoupe of of that...JMO

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the pricing mentioned is off a bit. A new 50% carbon fiber hood like the OEM unit is running about $1600.00 retail without prep, painting or installation while the 100% unit is about $1800.00. Add the cost to finish and install the hood would bring the cost to about $2500.00- $2700.00. The weight savings is off a bit too. A 50% carbon fiber hood with only the top layer carbon fiber with the structural support layer in fiberglass would have about a 10 pound weight savings. A 100% carbon fiber hood would have a weight savings of about 20 pounds. Even with a 20% surcharge to meet strict OEM standards, the hood cost should be about $3240.00 in the worst case. Volume purchasing at the wholesale price, prepping, painting, and installation on the assembly line should bring the price down to about half, or a little more, to a cost less than $1600.00 by my estimates. Now, subtract the cost of the original hood and you probably have an additional option surcharge in the $1000.00 range. Add other body panels or interior parts and the overall cost of this option would increase. If the cargo floor fiberglass section was replaced with carbon fiber, there would be an estimated 20+ pounds saved and it doesn't have to be top grade carbon fiber since its covered. Weight savings would start to add up very quickly as these parts are replaced. These additional panels may account for the $5000.00 estimate for the carbon fiber usage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The new Lemans Blue vert shone with shale leather interior at birthday bash looks nice. C.E. Z06 interior will be black, according to a post on the other forum.
After attending a new car show earlier in the year, and seeing people getting in and out of a Anniversary Vette. I was relieved of any doubts about getting black interior. That shale interior was a disaster after the first few hours of the show.
I think we will keep the 03 Electron blue coupe and wait for the C6. IMHO the C.E. Z06 would look better without the stripes, and very disapointed with the 2004's overall. "BLM" hit the nail on the head.:(

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't think it looks too bad but you just need to get use to it. However, if you want a trick carbon fiber hood, this is one...

:D:D

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
36,412 Posts
Philip Long said:
I don't think it looks too bad but you just need to get use to it. However, if you want a trick carbon fiber hood, this is one...

:D:D

Much better:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts