Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi eveyone,

I just wanted to share some pics of the new items I just installed in the 2002 Coupe.

BEFORE: B&M Ripper shifter, stock shift boot, and Kirban Billet aluminum shift knob

AFTER: B&M Ripper shifter, MOMO black Endurance leather shift boot with MOMO chrome Ghiere gear shift knob finisher and MOMO Sphere Aluminum shift knob

Here are some different images of the new setup:

So what do you think???

I'm all :D!! The Sphere feels really great in my hand!

:cheers:

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
looks nice..:cheers:

B

·
0 Posts
Those pictures make it look like the Momo boot is of a cheaper appearance than the OEM boot. Looks like cheaper leather if that is even possible!

The knob looks good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Originally posted by Patrick96LT4 ...<br>
It looks great! Did you do the work yourself?<br>
Thanks! Yup. Since I already had a custom shift knob on it, it was really easy to take off (compared to the stock shift knob). The factory boot is stapled/glued to a plastic ring that's hooked just under the surrounding center console plastic. You just have to carefully unhook that plastic ring and bring the entire boot/ring upwards until it clears the surrounding console. I used a small flathead screw driver to pry the staples free and then removed the boot from the ring (and glue)... carefully. The MOMO Endurance boot has elastic at the bottom, so you simply stretch it around the plastic trim ring and wedge it into the little gaps behind each plastic hook. There's really no need to glue it, but you can if you want to. (I didn't need to.) The Ghiere piece fits securely into the top of the Endurance boot. The Sphere (and all other current MOMO shift knobs) secures tightly to the shifter shaft via a rubber adapter piece and 3 set screws (all included with the knob). The MOMO shift knobs normally have a threaded ring at the bottom of the knob that hides these set screws, but the Ghiere replaces that piece and provides an integrated and finished look to the whole package. :excited:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by BIG LAW MAN ...<br>
Those pictures make it look like the Momo boot is of a cheaper appearance than the OEM boot. Looks like cheaper leather if that is even possible!
Not possible! :rolling:

Jlreyna is correct. It's high grade leather. It's just that it hasn't been used much yet, and I didn't have any time to put Zaino Z10 Leather Treatment/Conditioner on it before I took the pics. The stock boot in the first pic had several treatments of Z10 by the time I took the pic.

The knob looks good.<br>
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Looks :smokin: !!! I opted for the flameball. Hows that knob in the heat of summer? I shortend my Kirban shifter a little more for my liking:cheers:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi TIKTGTR! I drove it about 100 miles today. This MOMO Sphere Aluminum really feels better than the Kirban billet aluminum ball I used to have. It seems like it requires even less effort to shift (lighter maybe) and the shape of the bottom 1/3 of the knob fits better in my hand while shifting. (It's called the Sphere Aluminum, but it's actually not a perfect sphere like the Kirban ball.) I wasn't expecting it to feel that different compared to the Kirban ball, but it does. It's a pleasant surprise!

I can tell you this much... it gets cool VERY fast from the AC center vents.

I've had the Kirban shift ball on it since I bought the car new, so I've experienced two hot Texas summers with it so far, and the that one gets EXTREMELY hot if left to sit in the summer sun. It will be interesting to see if this one absorbs as much heat as the other one. During past summers, I always covered it with a cloth and it kept it fairly cool. Oh yeah... MOMO also makes the same knob covered in black leather. It's simply called the Sphere. It still has the same polished top, middle, and bottom pieces.

:partyon:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts