Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here ya go guys. Just checked up on my car today at the exhaust shop. Had them install the 1 7/8" from CustomImage Corvettes (Brand: XS Power). Fitment was good on the drivers side, but as you can see not so good on the passenger side. Not too happy about that but what can you do..
2.5" pipes, had them do dual exhaust, installed Magnaflow cats just in case. Pics don't have my electric cutouts installed yet but they will be on there.

Tips for prospective buyers:
1. Be aware that primary may or may not need to be modified
2. You will need shorter spark plugs and angle wires
3. My car is lowered.. I did not take a picture of clearance, but know that it is very close to the ground. My '76 has the 550lb/420lb springs setup and Bilstein Sports all around. I'm not too worried about hitting anything besides speed bumps, but will let you guys know what I think tomorrow.

Had I known what I know now, I would have waited on installation so I would have been prepared for the extra expenses on the plugs and wires.

-Nikko

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Man, those look great!

Ya know I had to do some fabricating on my C4 headers too. They nearly fit right, but not how I wanted them to. I chalked it up to all the different clearances from aftermarket heads, gaskets, thicker flanges and different motor mounts... it doesn't take much to change the small clearances for long tube headers. Either way, like you said... you can either gripe, or fix it and be happy!

:partyon:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
looks nice :) im going to go dual out the rear as well :) dont forget a video of drivebys/burnouts ;) i wanna hear the sound :cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
237 Posts
no H or X pipe? Let us know how your resonating is. My Headman's have treated me very well, over 10 years (only $200 when I got em).....a little POR-15 at year 8 to clean em up. :thud: I run an H-pipe.

I would go Custom Image in a heartbeat if I switched to sidepipes though.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well today is the day. I'm pretty excited to pick it up after class. Shop told me that all my original plugs were burnt out, and 2 of them came off unscrewing them by hand. Car should run a bit better haha. Will post what I think by the end of the day.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
stock heads?

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
You need a heat shield between the rear glass spring and those pipes!

The exhaust pipe heat will cause the rear spring to fail. :down:

Ask any glass spring manufacturer.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Maybe a dumb question on the cut outs but it looks like you have dual exhaust coming out the rear where are the electric cuts outs to be used..

My car is currently at the exhaust shop and I will be using electric cut outs to open or close the side pipes as it will have both rear and side exhaust when done.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My cutouts were installed right before the cats. I don't have any undercar pics yet, will try today.

Huge improvement in power overall. Seem to get better gas mileage but only time will tell.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, my cutouts don't work right now. Just had them bolted up in position, motors are burnt out again. Ordered a new set today..

Note to any prospective buyers, do not buy QTP cutouts as the warranty is horrible (30 days for the motors) and they leak like crazy. If you are going to buy the butterfly valve type cutouts, Race Ready Performance looks like the brand to go with due to the lifetime warranty and guarantee again leakage.

Ground clearance is very minimal. Maybe 4" on level ground. Definitely cannot go over speed bumps or any major dips. Haven't had any issues so far, just being cautious with them

Heres a pic from when I went to a local gas station that has a 'ramp' past the pump.

And a pic next to a very nice Testarossa

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have a set of these headers,and they did not fit my heads, edelbrock victor jr heads, so i boiught some afr heads and have to check to make sure they fit those heads,i was told by Josh (custom Image) that they will fit.I also thought these headers were suppose to be up higher from the ground then the other headers out there. I hope my headers fit with no problems,i already spent $1.600 to have a good fit. Im a little worried now seeing your post:( maybe Josh will see and elaborate on it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a set of these headers,and they did not fit my heads, edelbrock victor jr heads, so i boiught some afr heads and have to check to make sure they fit those heads,i was told by Josh (custom Image) that they will fit.I also thought these headers were suppose to be up higher from the ground then the other headers out there. I hope my headers fit with no problems,i already spent $1.600 to have a good fit. Im a little worried now seeing your post:( maybe Josh will see and elaborate on it.
Thanks for letting me know. I was going to be buying those heads they did not fit on, I didn't realzie that there may be an issue with fitment. I guess I will have to save my pennies for AFRs.

Here's a pic on level ground for you. About 4" of clearance, but it hasn't been a problem yet and I daily drive mine.

·
Registered
754 Posts
That pic looks a little better,the first one looked like it was almost right on the ground:surprised stay away from victor jr heads,they may perform good but the angle of the spark plug is different then all the other heads,bad idea i think. No header fits them that fit a c3. Called edelbrock about it and they said they were not concerned with the c3 crowd.:surprised
I had to get a set of hooker super comp headers and have them custom welded.the # 8 primary gets in the way of the #6 plug,cant get the plug in. I will be selling the victor jr heads with those headers ,if anybody wants them,then ebay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts