Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got home from a great weekend! We put on 106 miles of track time over 4 sessions of about 20 minutes each on Saturday. (You can check the track out at roadamerica.com ). We hit 140+ mph on the straights. Saw a few crashes and one car fire but we came back without incident. A very nice 427 Cobra hit the wall, and a black Z06 tangled with a black mustang and a wall. Very expensive days for those guys. I posted a bunch of digital pics here: http://www.2010corvette.com/ra2003.htm
We also took 8 rolls of 35mm that I will scan and post highlights from in a day or two.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What was your best lap time?
It wasn't a timed event and I didn't time myself. I ran in group C and the fit was just right for me. I learned I still need to upgrade brakes even more and also work on a later apex if I want to truly compete.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,548 Posts
Sounds like you had a blast. Maybe someday..........

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Patrick96LT4 ...<br>
What's with all the wrecks? I saw a TOAST z06, a smashed $$$ Porsche and a crumpled Mustang....

<br>
Vette lost its brakes and hit the Mustang, and then the wall. Porsche was the wifes accident off-track. Cobra spun and hit the wall. Several others just went into the sand...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by sgt538 ...<br>
It wasn't a timed event and I didn't time myself. I ran in group C and the fit was just right for me. I learned I still need to upgrade brakes even more and also work on a later apex if I want to truly compete.
Did you lift in the kink?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by RT66Z06 ...<br>
Did you lift in the kink?<br>
Once I got used to the track, no, I didn't lift IN it, but I always entered it a little slow just because of the proximity of the wall to the pavement when you come out of the right turn before that whole "straight".

·
Registered
662 Posts
Once I got used to the track, no, I didn't lift IN it, but I always entered it a little slow just because of the proximity of the wall to the pavement when you come out of the right turn before that whole "straight".<br>
My question was poorly phrased. Lifting in the kink would have put you into the wall (trailing-throttle oversteer). What I should have asked was did you lift before the kink. I think only the LMP900 cars get through there without lifting. That is a true test of commitment.

Did you get the sensation in Kettle Bottoms on the way to Canada Corner that there wasn't enough room between the trees as you looked down the track?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by RT66Z06 ...<br>

Did you get the sensation in Kettle Bottoms on the way to Canada Corner that there wasn't enough room between the trees as you looked down the track?<br>
YEP! at least until you get used to the track, which took me more than a few laps. I wish I would have timed my laps. I KNOW I was waaay faster by my 4th session than in my first or second time out on the track. It is sooo addicting though. Now I want BIGGER brakes and MORE track time!

·
Registered
662 Posts
YEP! at least until you get used to the track, which took me more than a few laps. I wish I would have timed my laps. I KNOW I was waaay faster by my 4th session than in my first or second time out on the track. It is sooo addicting though. Now I want BIGGER brakes and MORE track time!<br>
I know the feeling.

Have you replaced the stock brake fluid with Motul 300C? If you experienced a soft pedal (or worst case no pedal) after hauling it down at the end of the straight it is probably boiling fluid. Over time water gets into the system and since it has a lower boiling point than even stock fluid it forms bubbles which are compressible and which give the soft pedal. Flushing the old fluid will rid the system of water, but refilling with Motul 300C will raise the fluid boiling point to 300 degrees Centigrade.

Larger rotors will give more mass to absorb heat. Cross-drilled rotors cool (slightly) faster because the holes increase the surface area exposed to the air stream. Their original purpose was to allow gas produced by the pads a way to escape and not act as a lubricant between the pad and rotor. If the holes are not chamferred stress cracking will be a problem. Even if they are, they will eventually begin to show cracks. It's unavoidable.

The most rigid caliper you can afford should be used. At high temperature and pressure the caliper can flex, limiting the clamping force on the rotor.

Obviously getting as much cooling air to the rotor/caliper will speed heat disapation. At Road America there are ample opportunities to be off the brakes and at a high enough speed to get sufficient air to the brakes.

Best of luck with your future runs at RA. You're very fortunate to live close to one of the best road courses in the country, and arguably the world.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks! Good info, makes sense. I have fresh Castrol SRF for fluid and it made a big difference compared to stock brake fluid which I ran with last year at Gingerman. My weakest link in my current brake setup is my pads, but it seems that every time I upgrade something, there will always be something else that becomes my next "necessary" upgrade. I only run a few times a year, mostly for fun and to get the need for speed out of my system. I am afraid that if I get too far into it I will end up with a trailer, spares, and before you know it a whole darn pit crew! I simply can't afford the sport if taken beyond a hobby.

·
Registered
662 Posts
UH OH Someone has a hair up his rear, check this out:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=406077

What the ?<br>
Are you talking about this post?

The posting of links
Any link is OK to post when sharing technical information.

The problem arises when the link is a thread, page or site that promotes a non LS1.com sponsor or products that DIRECTLY compete with a LS1.com sponsor.
The actual link points to an empty thread about F-bodies at RA.

Ray

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I am talking about the post I made on another forum, identical to the post that begins this thread. The other forum removed the link to my 60+ pictures.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I am talking about the post I made on another forum
Okay, now I understand. But when I click on that link an empty thread appears.

FWIW, just posting the photos seems inncouous to me. It really happened and you merely documented it. No different than a newspaper or magazine photo. You own the copyright to the photo, the inanimate object in the photo doesn't own the copyright.

Of course, I can see the insurance implications. I was going to ask you about that...perhaps that's why the vehicle owners don't want them circulated. The good hands people would have them by the balls.

Ray

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
"Any link is OK to post when sharing technical information.

The problem arises when the link is a thread, page or site that promotes a non LS1.com sponsor or products that DIRECTLY compete with a LS1.com sponsor."

Doesn't that sound like, "our needs come first, our members come second". ????

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by Patrick96LT4 ...<br>
"Any link is OK to post when sharing technical information.

The problem arises when the link is a thread, page or site that promotes a non LS1.com sponsor or products that DIRECTLY compete with a LS1.com sponsor."

Doesn't that sound like, "our needs come first, our members come second". ????<br>
Very much so - plus I didn't link to ANY "thread, page or site that promotes a non LS1.com sponsor or products that DIRECTLY compete with a LS1.com sponsor" unless my simple page of pictures is somehow seen as competition?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts