Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just shipped these out to Ray for his 70 vette. He shipped me the offset arms & Wilwood parts to build with Tom's axles. Took a lot time and fitment but they came out real nice. Notice the billet caliper brackets!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dang! Some nice work there Gary!
I noticed some safety wires visible on the rear side of the rotors. Give us some more info on these rotors.
Thanx- :cheers:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll let Ray fill in the details. I did machine the hats,they don't come like you see in the final product.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Very nice work!

I can't wait to see mine look that good!:thumbsup:

Mine are boxed up and waiting for the storms to pass before they ship to you. the steering box is coming out later this week as well.

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
hey Ray, are those the Van Steel coil-over T/A's?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not only is Gary an absolute perfectionist as a builder, obviously he is as modest as they come as well. He had a lot of unplanned hours into making this setup work out right and he pulled it off flawlessly. When he said he had to do some machining on the hats; let me add a couple of pics to help show you what he really meant.

Notice in this first pic the hats only have 5 holes for the wheel studs, which were drilled for 7/16" studs, not holes for the the 1/2" ARP studs that he would be installing (after he machined those to length too). There were no e-brake adjustment holes and there was no way to attach the hats to the axles except the 5 wheel studs. :crazy:

So after a "little" machining you get e-brake adjustment holes and counter sunk holes for flat head mounting fasteners for the hats to the Tom's 31 spline axles. Now when you take a wheel off the brakes don't try to fall on the ground. :thumbsup:

The brakes are the Wilwood 13" "Big Brake" kit that uses the SL4R calipers (I'll be running the 6 piston up front on 13" rotors) and as you can see it's a 2 piece hat & rotor setup. The rotors (see pic) are obviously slotted only, IMHO the drilled rotors are more for show and are weaker. We upgraded to the ARP rotor bolts as well and like the Wilwood bolts that come with the kits, you safety wire them in place. Only the hats are threaded and there is no retaining nut on the back as the bolts don't protrude thru the rotor. You could probably use Loctite Red but I opted not too since the thermal break point of the Loctite is probably at or below what the hat temp could see.

As Gary pointed out, the billet brackets for the brake mounting are killer looking and are made by Tom's Differentials, as were the axles, half shafts, and most of the guts inside the new 12-bolt rearend that Gary shipped to me a few weeks back.

The Trailing Arms are the Van Steel off set arms with the legs for using QA-1 Coil Overs to replace the leaf spring. I went with the 600# HyperCo springs and a shortened Sway Bar also from Van Steel.

According to FedEx my T/As will be on Monday, if they can traverse the mid-west Winter storm that is wreaking havoc right now. I can't wait to see the real thing!

GARY-
Thanks again Bud, it has been an absolute pleasure working with you!!!! :thumbsup:

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Ray Y
What will be the max width of tire that you will be able to use with those arms?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Really nice work on those TA's.

BTW, The adjustment you told me to do on my

PS Box is still holding great.. Nice & tight. Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ray Y
What will be the max width of tire that you will be able to use with those arms?
I'll have to let you know later this Spring. I'm shooting for 295's but I have a feeling it will be 285's without frame mods.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ray,

Your set-up looks awesome. Write me and tell me exactly what all you are doing out back and with your brakes.

Thanks,
Hap

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ray,

Your set-up looks awesome. Write me and tell me exactly what all you are doing out back and with your brakes.

Thanks,
Hap
Hey Hap,
I've been meaning to drop you line and let you know what I had going on for Spring, so I'm glad you saw this posting.

My brake set up, like yours, is based on the ABS PowerBrake electric booster. Last year when I installed the new motor the hard brake lines were all replaced with new stainless lines and a new factory proportining valve. The flex lines were all replaced with braided stainless at the same time and the system was charged with DOT 5. I held off on other brake upgrades until this year so that it was a one time job.

So for the rear, the old 10-bolt comes out and a new 12-bolt w/ 3.73's goes back in with 3 1/2" half shafts & 1350 solid Spicers all built by Gary Ramadei using Tom's Differentials parts. The T/As are the Van Steel offset units with the coil over extension drop legs welded on, this will eliminate the leaf spring. QA-1 double adjustable shocks with 600# HyperCo Springs and a Van Steel shortened sway bar specially built for these T/As. This should give me the IRS qualities I want and drop a lot of weight.

The Wilwood rear brake kit was ordered from Van Steel with the T/As. The brake kit is supposed to be bolt on, and it kind of is, it's part # BKW-140-10471; aka Superlite 4 Big Brake Rear Kit. It uses the OE e-brake assembly which does not come with the kit, so I got a good stainless unit to go inside. If you go to Wilwood.com they have the complete assembly instructions online as a down loadable pdf file listed under the part # group 140-10471. The only changes to the kit was upgrading to the ARP rotor hat bolts because one snapped off way too easily, and hat modifications noted in the earlier post above for securing the hat to the axles & e-brake access holes. Gary mounted the calipers before he shipped everything out to insure proper fitment/runout so it should now be an easy bolt on assembly.

Up front I'll be installing new upper & lower tubelar A-Arms and the Wilwood 6-piston calipers with 13" slotted rotors. These are also all kits from Van Steel, the front brake kit is BKW-140-10617. The install info is also available on the Wilwood site and it is the Superlite 6 Big Brake Front Kit.

These 2 kits brake kits should match up well together and if the factory proportioning valve works like I think it does, there should be no bias/balancing issues.

I guess I should note for everyone that these brake kits will NOT work with OE wheels. I'll be running 18" wheels front & rear to easliy clearance the hardware.

HAP--
I'll be around the house today and until mid-day Sunday; if you want to ring my cell I should be able to catch up with you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts