Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Says TSA Doesn’t Make Travel Safer

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (CBS/AP) — A Tennessee pilot who says he’s tired of being manhandled by security agents is waiting to see if he will lose his job because he refused a full body scan.

ExpressJet Airlines first officer Michael Roberts was chosen for the X-ray scan Friday at Memphis International Airport. The Houston-based pilot says he also refused a pat-down and went home.

The 35-year-old Roberts told The Commercial Appeal newspaper he wants to go to work and not be “harassed or molested without cause.”

Transportation Security Administration spokesman Jon Allen says a person was turned away after refusing to follow federal security procedures but declined to say if it was Roberts, citing privacy considerations.

Roberts says he has safety concerns, but called TSA a “make-work” program that doesn’t make travel safer.

“I just kind of had to ask myself ‘Where do I stand?’ I’m just not comfortable being physically manhandled by a federal security agent every time I go to work,” he told the Commercial Appeal.

Earlier this week, CBSNewYork reported that full-body scanners have not yet been installed at New York City area airports, despite plans that were in place to have them installed at Newark Liberty International, John F. Kennedy International, and LaGuardia airports by September.

The Transportation Security Administration told The Star-Ledger of Newark the installation is complex and the scanners would arrive “in the coming weeks.”

Passengers who prefer not to be scanned can choose to be patted down and pass through a metal detector.

TSA spokesman Ann Davis says passengers are no less safe. She says the scanners are designed to be faster and less physically intrusive than metal detectors and pat-downs.

The TSA has installed 259 scanners at 59 airports nationwide.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/10...-body-scan-says-tsa-doesnt-make-travel-safer/

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Piss on him. They go to the front of the line because they are going to work. Well most air travelers during the week are going to work. I commute to work on an airplane the majority of the time and have to show up early to allow for Security. Pilots and Flight Attendants should do the same.

Get in line with the rest of the people going to work. I do not like the scans and searches either and I think TSA is not effective. I would tell stories about TSA slip ups I have seen personally witnessed but I fear exposing shortcomings of TSA to the wrong people.

:cheers:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Piss on him. They go to the front of the line because they are going to work. Well most air travelers during the week are going to work. I commute to work on an airplane the majority of the time and have to show up early to allow for Security. Pilots and Flight Attendants should do the same.

Get in line with the rest of the people going to work. I do not like the scans and searches either and I think TSA is not effective. I would tell stories about TSA slip ups I have seen personally but I fear exposing shortcomings of TSA to the wrong people.

No, they go to the front of line because they are at work. They are responsible for performing the pre-flight checks, filing a flight plan, and ensuring safe boarding. They are restricted by the FAA as to the total number of hours they can work in a day and as such airlines want to make sure the majority of their time is spent in the air not waiting in line. To make an airline employee wait in line with passengers is unreasonable.

As for my opinion on the TSA, they're a waste of money in their present form. A complete overhaul is needed of that agency.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
No, they go to the front of line because they are at work. They are responsible for performing the pre-flight checks, filing a flight plan, and ensuring safe boarding. They are restricted by the FAA as to the total number of hours they can work in a day and as such airlines want to make sure the majority of their time is spent in the air not waiting in line. To make an airline employee wait in line with passengers is unreasonable.

As for my opinion on the TSA, they're a waste of money in their present form. A complete overhaul is needed of that agency.
...100 % + 1.......:thumbsup:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

:agree:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts

That is akin to saying I am working from the time I arrive at the building where I work. They are not at work until after they pass through security just like anyone else reporting to their job and passing through entry security.

Sorry I do not agree. They cannot begin to perform their duties for the Airline until they get past security and enter the area where they work

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The TSA and DHS were knee-jerk reactions addressing a symptom of an overall disease. An expansion of federal government that was/is unjustified.

The problem is brown muslim males, ages 19-39, having a well documented history of hijacking and blowing up planes. So, why do we scan/pat down grandma, 12 year old girls and pilots? Idiocracy is why...

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
The TSA and DHS were knee-jerk reactions addressing a symptom of an overall disease. An expansion of federal government that was/is unjustified.
:agree:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts

Get in line with the rest of the people going to work. I do not like the scans and searches either and I think TSA is not effective. I would tell stories about TSA slip ups I have seen personally witnessed but I fear exposing shortcomings of TSA to the wrong people.

Brother... what in the world is a pat down or a body scan going to do to the pilot of the plane ? Whats he gonna do... put it on auto pilot and hijack it with a box cutter -and then crash it in to some building ? -He's already in control of the plane. This makes zero sense to me.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Brother... what in the world is a pat down or a body scan going to do to the pilot of the plane ? Whats he gonna do... put it on auto pilot and hijack it with a box cutter -and then crash it in to some building ? -He's already in control of the plane. This makes zero sense to me.
If you knew what I have accidentally sent through the TSA scanners I think you would think the same about TSA effectiveness with all passengers.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
In all honesty... I don't think the same scenario that went down on 911 will ever happen again. I don't think there will be a single able-bodied man, women or child that will allow it -if they are on a plane. It could be a 14 inch bowie knife... and the dude would get taken down.

To me... this smacks of political correctness and equality. By insisting that the pilot be inspected, also... they have made it appear legitimate to minimize lawsuits in the face of complaining "Arabic in appearance", patrons.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you knew what I have accidentally sent through the TSA scanners I think you would think the same about TSA effectiveness with all passengers.
Ok, you lost me. Which side of this debate are you on? :laughing:

We are in total agreement that TSA/DHS are ineffective. But you seem to blame the pilot in your first post. :huh:

I think it will take a whole bunch of pilots/passengers to try and undo this mess.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Ok, you lost me. Which side of this debate are you on? :laughing:

We are in total agreement that TSA/DHS are ineffective. But you seem to blame the pilot in your first post. :huh:

I think it will take a whole bunch of pilots/passengers to try and undo this mess.
I think the Pilot's complaint is frivolous. They should be subjected to the same security as everyone entering the Airport without special consideration.

I think TSA is for the most part a waste of money and time.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
do the scan or get another job. personally i could give a $hit if someone pats me down or gets off on it - especially if its a rare hot security babe. :laughing: I hate waiting in line though. :down:

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the Pilot's complaint is frivolous. They should be subjected to the same security as everyone entering the Airport without special consideration.

Do you think that if enough pilots/passengers rebel, it could move towards eliminating the failed system, or replacing it with something effective?

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Do you think that if enough pilots/passengers rebel, it could move towards eliminating the failed system, or replacing it with something effective?
In the Northeast, I think more and more passengers are taking the train because of TSA. I am not sure protests would make a difference. But maybe they would:huh:

Automated sniffers are not the answer, as of yet anyway.

I think when the TSA Security was implemented it was like bowing to the terrorists. I agree with Preacher, had information about the 911 hijacking not been restricted and published earlier the second WTC tower and Pentagon would not have been hit.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In the Northeast, I think more and more passengers are taking the train because of TSA. I am not sure protests would make a difference. But maybe they would:huh:
Personally, I would like to see more of these stories. Maybe that would spur people to get on their lawmakers and fix this mess. :cheers:

I think when the TSA Security was implemented it was like bowing to the terrorists. I agree with Preacher, had information about the 911 hijacking not been restricted and published earlier the second WTC tower and Pentagon would not have been hit.
I agree with that also. The American people are not stupid,and government needs to quit treating them like they are.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts

I agree, once past security a pilot could pass a gun, explosive... to another party.

·
I support glass stairways
5,955 Posts
That is akin to saying I am working from the time I arrive at the building where I work. They are not at work until after they pass through security just like anyone else reporting to their job and passing through entry security.

Sorry I do not agree. They cannot begin to perform their duties for the Airline until they get past security and enter the area where they work
Ok, I, personally, don't want somebody who's been up since 2 A.M. and had to deal with 2 1/2 hours of idiots, flying the plane that I'm on.

I dunno, I like living, call me crazy...:crazy::laughing:

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I agree with that also. The American people are not stupid,and government needs to quit treating them like they are.

:thumbsup:
Ted Kennedy served over 40 years in Congress, I beg to differ on the fact that the American people are not stupid.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts