Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exactly what is the simplest method of attaching piston rods to pistons on a 350
Also is it essential to replace the oil plugs or is there an alternative
effective cleaning method.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've always had a machinest press in the wrist pins.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
You will need a press - as most of them have the pin pressed in and the rod just slides on pin. There are some high dollar race pistons that just have a clip that holds a full floating pin in, but I doubt that is what you have.

Are you talking about the threaded oil plugs that screw into the block all around it?

You can unscrew those and flush the block if you are pre-cleaning before assembly. Some may not want to come out - not a big deal - just do the best you can. Just apply some thread sealant to them and screw them back in tight after you have done all the cleaning work.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
heat the piston in a oven or on a hot plate,put the pins in the freezer,pins will slide in
SOrry overdrive, I gotta disagree here, The pins are pressed into the rods, not the pistons. The small end of the rod needs to be heated way more than the piston. The pins still float in the pistons.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
SOrry overdrive, I gotta disagree here, The pins are pressed into the rods, not the pistons. The small end of the rod needs to be heated way more than the piston. The pins still float in the pistons.
:agree:

This is not a trivial task. If you've never performed this operation, its best left to an experienced automotive machine shop. You need a proper press and fixtures to do this correctly.

Steven

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the small end of the rod is heated so the pin can slip into the rod..then the rod cools and the pin floats freely in the piston..i had a machine shop press my last set of pins into the rods without heating them 1st..it totaly ruined the pistons and the pins were not able to move freely in the piston..i ended up bying new pistons.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
the small end of the rod is heated so the pin can slip into the rod..then the rod cools and the pin floats freely in the piston..i had a machine shop press my last set of pins into the rods without heating them 1st..it totaly ruined the pistons and the pins were not able to move freely in the piston..i ended up bying new pistons.
Well, then, if you've been through this before, then you know that it isn't an easy thing to do. Don't go back to that first shop - you'll have to find a shop that actually knows how to do it.

Steven

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, then, if you've been through this before, then you know that it isn't an easy thing to do. Don't go back to that first shop - you'll have to find a shop that actually knows how to do it.

Steven
ive taken the rods to a new shop ive found..looking good to be back on the road in about a week id say if all goes well..ill take some piks and maybe a video of the sound from those sts baffles and side pipes...vrooommmm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
:agree: The pins are only pressed out of the rod when removing old pistons, not pressed in when installing new ones.

My brother owns a machine shop and I've watched him install new pistons on rods. He heats up the small end of the rod and just slides the pin through the piston and rod, but, you need to practice because you only have about 1 second to get it positioned correctly before the rod tightens up on the pin. If you don't get it right the first time, you will need to use a press to move the pin and chances are it will ruin the piston.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts