Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took my engine in to get rebuilt saturday, as we were going through the options there was a choice between flat top pistons and the pistons like the ones that were originally in the engine. i know that the flat top pistons will give you more compression, but will that also then result with more hp? and is there a downside to the flat top pistons? like will they wear out faster?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
took my engine in to get rebuilt saturday, as we were going through the options there was a choice between flat top pistons and the pistons like the ones that were originally in the engine. i know that the flat top pistons will give you more compression, but will that also then result with more hp? and is there a downside to the flat top pistons? like will they wear out faster?
If flat tops are giving more compression, I guess you are starting with dished pistons from the factory. Increasing the compression will make more horsepower. Increasing the compression will also let you run a larger cam, which is also going to increase the power.

What is the goal of your rebuild? Just to freshen up the engine, pick up a few horsepower, or really go for a performance build? What compression range are you talking about?

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Don't go too nuts with the compression. This is the day and age of crappy gas. If you go from 9:1 to 10:1 the difference will only be about 2 or 3 percent. If you have 300 HP now the compression bump will probably only give you 308 or so HP. It is free horsepower if you're buying pistons anyway, but to buy pistons just for the little change might not be cost effective.

Just MHO.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the car is just going to be my high school DD, so i want it to be as fuel efficient as possible(i dont even know if that word exists in the vette vocabulary) but i also want there to be that extra "ooomphh" when i need it

·
Registered
178 Posts
I would purchase the flat top pistons for a number of reasons.

1. they will cost about the same as dished pistons so there is little downside
  2. there will be a small compression increase which will equate to a small power increase
  3. the flat tops are the piston of choice for a mild build so if in the future you want to upgrade cam exhaust or intake, you are positioned to take more advantage of the pistons
  4. the increased compression will not matter to the present engine, the difference between a L82 and L48 includes flat top vs dished pistons, both run iron heads

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I would purchase the flat top pistons for a number of reasons.

....the difference between a L82 and L48 includes flat top vs dished pistons, both run iron heads
[/LIST]
Oooo, I did not know that! L-82: I've got Flat Top, flat top, flat top...:partyon:

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Oooo, I did not know that! L-82: I've got Flat Top, flat top, flat top...

Me too.....me too.....me toooo, I has flattop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts