Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need about 1/4 inch of my door hinge cut

looks like my lower pass. hinge was replaced, this causes the fibreglass to hit the hinge if the door is opened to the max.
I'm fixing the fibreglass, but need to fix the hinge to prevent this from happening again.

I'm open to all suggestions, looks like a plasma cutter is the easiest way for working in
such a small area, and avoid having to remove anything.

Would you attempt this without removing the door?

·
DC Crew
2,988 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,550 Posts
DO IT CORRECTLY, pull the door, replace and adjust both hinges:thumbsup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks! Mine did this right after the paint job. Nice big bite in the door panel by the front seam. Can't miss it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DO IT CORRECTLY, pull the door, replace and adjust both hinges:thumbsup:
aligning the door is my concern.

what about the harness for the power windows?
do I have to take everything apart too?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Taking it apart beats the hell outta burning it down.
You can do 1 hinge at a time. Open the door, prop it on something (box, door jack, whatever) Pull the kick panel and remove the bolts for the hinge, remove the door panel and remove the other bolts for the same hunge. Pay attention to where the spacers are so you can put them back in. Do not move the door once you have the bolts out. Reverse order to put it back after you fix the hinge

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
You can buy a device that cradles the door for removal and re-assembly. Or, you can make your own. Someone had left a shoping cart at my old house, so when I needed to remove the door, I modified the cart. Cut the front and bottom out of the basket, then used two flat nylon cargo ties hooked to the top sides, one across the front and one across the back of the basket. The straps were left loose and the cart pushed up around the door. Once in place the straps were snugged up on the bottom of the door. The bolts on the hinges removed and the door and cart slid away nicely. I did a bit of grinding on the hinge and replaced the door.

·
Super Moderator
8,550 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
fixed

dye grinder, 10 minutes, didn't have to remove the door.:thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts