Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 questions about my '06 C6. One question is about little wear areas in the side bolster of the drivers seat. I'm concerned about a couple of places where the leather seems to be wearing out. It shows signs of scuffing on the outside seat bolster. Has anyone else noticed this? (my car only has 16K miles) What could be done to prevent the leather seat covers from getting damaged?

The other question is regarding the floor mats. In the drivers side, the floor mat came loose from the plastic donut that attaches it to the floor. Also, I notice that the floor mats do not seem to come off the plastic studs in the floor.... I did not want to risk breaking them, so I did not try to force them off... Is there a trick to removing the floor mats from their anchors?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Are you using a good leather conditioner like Adams on your seats? :huh:
Have no problem on mine yet.:surprised
As for the floor mats you'll need to use a screw driver and pop the round piece off,then get some good mats from Llyods from Southern Car Parts,he's a great vendor on DC:thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. I'll use some leather conditioner (I've got some Meguiars). As far as the mats, do you mean to pry them off the studs by using a screwdriver between the floor mats and the floorboard?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'll use some leather conditioner (I've got some Meguiars). As far as the mats, do you mean to pry them off the studs by using a screwdriver between the floor mats and the floorboard?

Thanks
Yep,it should pop right up and a smaller stud will be left:thumbsup:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^^Thanks! I definitely will consider the seat covers. I saw them in the web, but there are not too many pictures of the various types of materials. Are yours the Neoprene covers? Also, how difficult are they to install? The neoprene might be a good choice. Although I've not seem them in person, they look pretty good in your photos... Thanks for any info you might give me about them.

·
Registered
384 Posts
One good trick to try when conditioning leather seats is to use a hair dryer to warm the seat before applying the conditioner. This will cause the pores in the leather to open, thus allowing the conditioner to fully penetrate. You just want to get them warm, not hot. Make sure they are clean first, and give it a try. I really like Lexol's cleaner and their conditioner, but there are several good brands on the market:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
One good trick to try when conditioning leather seats is to use a hair dryer to warm the seat before applying the conditioner. This will cause the pores in the leather to open, thus allowing the conditioner to fully penetrate. You just want to get them warm, not hot. Make sure they are clean first, and give it a try. I really like Lexol's cleaner and their conditioner, but there are several good brands on the market:thumbsup:
Funny you mention this. I live in Florida and I park my verte out on the driveway for about an hour before I apply the Adams leather conditioner. Soft as a baby's butt.... :laughing:

·
Registered
49 Posts
The seat covers look fantastic ,I wanted to get some but was not sure if they would look as good in my car as they do in the add pics ,but they really look good in your car , must be a good product or you are an incredible installer

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:agree: :agree: ^^^^^^^

I like thelook of those covers. I requested some samples of the materials to see what they looked like and felt like. I wonder how simple or complicated the installation would be.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine showed wear so I got them reupolstered and piped out for $900 and no problems. 30K miles on mine. The factory leather is so cheap on the seats. My pickup seats lasted longer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine showed wear so I got them reupolstered and piped out for $900 and no problems. 30K miles on mine. The factory leather is so cheap on the seats. My pickup seats lasted longer.
Wow! Already reupholstered the seats in a C6? That's not good to hear.... I do believe you though. I notice wear in a car with 16K miles... That's just not a good sign.:surprised

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow! Already reupholstered the seats in a C6? That's not good to hear.... I do believe you though. I notice wear in a car with 16K miles... That's just not a good sign.:surprised
There was a similar problem with side seat bolster leather wear on the early C5s. A change was made in either 1999 or 2000 consisting of replacing the leather with vinyl. My 2000 came with vinyl side bolsters which are more durable. Also, is the abrasion possibly being caused by your wallet when you slide into the seat?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There was a similar problem with side seat bolster leather wear on the early C5s. A change was made in either 1999 or 2000 consisting of replacing the leather with vinyl. My 2000 came with vinyl side bolsters which are more durable. Also, is the abrasion possibly being caused by your wallet when you slide into the seat?
Hmmm... maybe I should just take it to the dealer and get it fixed under warranty. The car was used when I bought it and the scuffing was already there. However, it's getting worse... And no, I don't even keep a wallet in my pocket. Also, I don't think my butt is that big :D .... No kidding, I'm only 5'-9" and weight 155 lbs. Also I've been being careful getting in and out....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You can also use a towel on the seat.
It's actually quite difficult to get that side bolster area to stay covered. Just looking at it, it seems that the leather is just not up to snuff.....

You can barely see the scuff marks in the picture, just to the right of the text. It's much more noticeable in person :down:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts