Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just recently purchased a 2009 C6 Corvette with 19000 miles. This is my first Vette and I really love the car! However, the biggest issue I am having is with the handling of the car. It drives fine on flat roads, but when I'm on bumpy or uneven surfaces, the steering shakes/wobbles and the car is very unstable. I feel real nervous on the freeway and can't fully enjoy the car. And it's not just me, my friend and my brother drove it and pointed this out as well.

What could be the issue here? Is it the run flat tires? Stiff suspension? (Mine did not come with z51 package) I'm wondering if this is normal for stock C6s? What can I do to fix it?

BTW, I thought it might have been a tire pressure issue so I checked and adjusted all 4 tires to 30psi, but that did not help. 30psi is the correct amount, right? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Welcome! :buhbye:

30 psi is what I set mine to, and the only time I experience what you're describing is when I'm on really lousy backroads. Otherwise, mine is very stable, and I always feel in control.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I bought my '92 C4 the dealer promised new tires but they were not in stock. Even though they didnt look so bad, driving on the old tires was scary, it was all over the road. I couldnt believe the difference when the new Toyo Proxes 4's were installed. Now she is very stable. I took the runflats off my '08 C6 and installed Hankook Ventus K110's last summer. She, too, is glued to the road. Felt confident enough to set cruise control at 100 mph for a while. Yup, done that. Buy new tires for yours.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Does the car have stock rims and tires? If after market, they might not have been balanced right. If stock tires, the run flats you have are pretty much no good at the mileage your at. Like some of the other guys said, tires, and have the wheel alignment checked. If the suspension is good, your car should hug the road. I had mine up to 170 mph it felt like i was going 65 mph. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
A 2009 with 19,000 miles is still under warrenty. I would take it back to the dealer...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi guys. I just recently purchased a 2009 C6 Corvette with 19000 miles. This is my first Vette and I really love the car! However, the biggest issue I am having is with the handling of the car. It drives fine on flat roads, but when I'm on bumpy or uneven surfaces, the steering shakes/wobbles and the car is very unstable. I feel real nervous on the freeway and can't fully enjoy the car. And it's not just me, my friend and my brother drove it and pointed this out as well.

What could be the issue here? Is it the run flat tires? Stiff suspension? (Mine did not come with z51 package) I'm wondering if this is normal for stock C6s? What can I do to fix it?

BTW, I thought it might have been a tire pressure issue so I checked and adjusted all 4 tires to 30psi, but that did not help. 30psi is the correct amount, right? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks!

What your experiencing is called bump steer. I bought my car lowered on stock suspension. This changes the geometry of your tie rods on front suspension.

-I had the same problem and my ZO6 handled like ****. You can get a bump steer kit which is just a set of adjustable tie rods. Fixes the problem great!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just like some of the other members recommended check the balance of the tires, the pressure and alignment. For the record I have about the same amount of miles on my 2007 OEM tires and do not have this issue, however different driver styles, usage and maintenance can have a significant impact on any vehicle.

In respect to suggestion to replace the OEM rubber with something else I agree will replace them with something different when it comes time to replace the tires.

·
Registered
230 Posts
depending on your tire width and road conditions I have experienced that unstable feeling and it is simply because wide tires grab the road

my z06 occasionally gets like this but I also drove my boys ls6 cammed camaro ss and he has very very very wide 345 or wider tires on it and it dos that as well

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have owned an automobile prior to this one, then you should be fairly cognizant with the normal handling characteristics of said automobile. Under normal circumstances cars do not behave the way you described unless there is a problem. I am in agreement with the two gentlemen in the above posts who suggest taking the car into a reputable dealer to diagnose the problem and have it corrected, since the car is still under warranty. You are quite correct with 30 psi all round.

Gentle in manner, strong in action.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts