Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spend 3 hours sanding one of my 85 vettes rims down with 800 grade sandpaper it looks like crap. I was told that I needed to sand down the rim before i put on polish . . . is it looking like crap because i havent sanded it enough or did i just ruin my rim ? since its down to the bare alum can I just apply some kind of clear coat ? any sugestions to saving my rim ?

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
KingJoeJoe said:
I just spend 3 hours sanding one of my 85 vettes rims down with 800 grade sandpaper it looks like crap. I was told that I needed to sand down the rim before i put on polish . . . is it looking like crap because i havent sanded it enough or did i just ruin my rim ? since its down to the bare alum can I just apply some kind of clear coat ? any sugestions to saving my rim ?
Oh boy.

That is way too coarse of a sandpaper!!! You need to work your way up to 2000 radually before those scratch marks go away. Also, you should wet-sand so debris washes away.

Isn't their a clear-coat on an 85 aluminum wheel?

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gulp . . yes their was a clear coat

·
Banned
591 Posts
I would have bead blasted it , then polished it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Don't worry. Here's what I've been told. If you have stripped the clearcoat off already, It's not a big job. I used Circa Heavy-Body paint and varnish remover and a pressure washer to take all the paint and clearcoat off my 84's wheels. Then I proceeded to wetsand with a lot of water in a spray bottle and some 600 grit wet on a vibrating electric sander. Many people wince when they see me using water and power tools, but it hasn't went bad yet, so I should be alright. After a while the rim will have a smooth, dull silver look to it (once you rinse off all the murky grey crap) I can't see any scratches in mine. I was going to go over mine with a cloth wheel and some red then white rouge to get them shining a bit, but I kind of like the dull appearance of them right now. I think I'll probably just re-paint the black then coat them with a Zoop seal or similar product. Yours right now couldn't possibly look worse than mine did back then.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
If you are interested, I did my 88 wheels and they came out looking like new, sold them for $600. pm me if you want details.:)

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes i am intrested in what you did to your rims if you could give me the details

1 - 8 of 8 Posts