Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,
I had an 89 before.I know the 89 to 91 can take 9.5" wide wheels,and clear the bigger brakes,we put stock c5 zo6 wheels on my friends 91 that was lowered 2 1/2 inches with no prob.
I'm going to have to go the cheap route for my first set of rims.Heres the rims i'm putting,c6z replicas,17/18,i don't have the car until late May,so i don't know if it's going to be an 85 to 88 or 89 to 91.I'm worried about fitment on the 85 to 88's..will this wheel just bolt on to the 85 to 88's?
Got pics...it's an ebay company..oewheels.com,does'nt mention backspace or anything,so i'll assume it's the stock c6 z specs..As all my cars,it will be slammed 2 1/2 to 3 inches as was my 89 with AFS replica zr-1's.Pics are worth a 1000 words he he
Thanks for any input..

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually i like these better..19" x 8.5..If these are still for sale,and they fit,i will get these.I like the deep dish much better.How much offset for the 85 to 88 cars.
SET OF 4 with logos and original boxes

PERFECT FIT FOR BMW 3, Chevy Camaro and Corvette

BOLT PATTERN: 5X120

OFFSET: ET35

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,622 Posts
You know I can't help with a C4 wheel question but those second ones are killer.

·
Registered
911 Posts
:agree: Much better than the C6Zs if you can get them and they'll fit.
Just my opinion, of course. Hows the car search coming?

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree,the z wheels are out..i just found these for the 88 to 04 cars,$505 for 4 - 18" wheels...damn....thats a killer price,i like these..

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:agree: Much better than the C6Zs if you can get them and they'll fit.
Just my opinion, of course. Hows the car search coming?
It's ruff,i don't get my severence pay for 4 weeks,and i have to use my current 07 car as a trade in,so i have to find a c4 on a lot,to meet my criteria of a nice car,that really narrows it down.Theres not many c4 on lots out here.I found a nice 91 in a hot rod club,with some good mods,but i don't want to pay cash for it and still have my 07 which already has a negitive equity..So we'll see in a few weeks,when the search gets nice hot and heavy..

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Hey Bro...you better hold up until you know what year model car you are getting. Reason is, 84-87 have a different offset than 88-96. In fact, the 84-87 require a 3/4" spacer in order to accept the newer rims. Therefore, you could be in a world of hurt if you get your wheels and car models mixed up.

Here is a different suggestion for you. I just found out you can stuff 18/19 C6 wheels under the C4. The early C4 requires a 1 1/4" spacer, while the later models can be done with a 3/4" to make them fit. There are places where you can get C6 comp gray wheels for as low as $400 for the whole set with center caps (OEM, not knock offs) - silver for $500, and chrome for $600. Be very careful with the EBAY store selling those replica rims. We considered buying from them. My wife did a BBB search on them and found tons of complaints. Considering you are thousands of miles away, I wouldn't want to see you get mixed up in a mess with them.

This is a rough pic without the appropriate adapters on, but it gives you the idea.

[http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/c6_front_wheel.jpg

http://www.mcspeed.homestead.com/100_2582_op_800x600.jpg

·
Registered
724 Posts
My 85 has a 36mm offset. I'm running the AFS 17x11 on the rear with no spacers.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Hey Todd. The problem with the 87 and older cars is the wheels sit to far in the fender well. If you don't go with a wide wheel like 11" then they will fit and just look funny. I have seen C-5 wheels bolted onto early c-4's without spacers. As for OE Wheel that's where I bought my wheels and dad and a guy that works for me. They are nice people to deal with and the product is good I haven't had any problems with them. They are semi local to me so if you need my help let me know. I can even go buy them and shop them to you myself to help you out if needed.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Steve,
Thats good to hear about OE wheels,they have some sweet wheels there.I think i might take a chance on them.Just can't wait at this point.I've been vette-less since memorial day weekend last year.First time in 17 years there was'nt a vette outside.My c5 is in good hands,even though it's a 4 x 4 now.Still has the headers and mods though.My 2 favorite models have always been c4/c5.Every vette i get from here on is a keeper,i will never forget the 89 and 99.
On a side note,i just got my shepherd certified as a "service dog"....

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 85 has a 36mm offset. I'm running the AFS 17x11 on the rear with no spacers.
Cool info on the offset,i'll definatly need that if i get a pre 88.
I really don't like any c6 wheels,i would use c5 z wheels,but there all over the place.I want something different,wish a deep dish (lip).I am going to see if they can give me an 18/19 combo.The c4 looks outstanding with deep dish wheels..i'm not much a fan of rims with spokes or what not,that end right at the out out lip of the wheel.
Then i can keep the stockers for autocross..:thumbsup:

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
429 Posts
Todd, I am running 17x11 and I narrowed the rear spindle section to allow an additional 13mm offset towards the inside, with the 50mm offset grand sport wheels. This way I don't have to run the GS flares. The offset you want is 8.3 inches, as this is what Fikse wheels runs to get a 17x11 to fit the 88-96 without sticking out like a ZR-1 or Grand Sport wheel does.
Here is mine

and here is a 18x11.5

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good info,i might have to stick with 8.5 rear,or 9.5 wide rears,due to slammed taste,there will be less than a finger gap between the tire and fender.Thats how i had my 89 as well,i had polished 17 x 8.5 ZR-1 reps.This car will have 18/19 with low pro tires so the over all diameter will stay the same as stock..Looking forward to putting some sticky's on my stockers and autocrossing with you guy's....I'll be buggin ya for tips before i get out there...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good info,i might have to stick with 8.5 rear,or 9.5 wide rears,due to slammed taste,there will be less than a finger gap between the tire and fender.Thats how i had my 89 as well,i had polished 17 x 8.5 ZR-1 reps.This car will have 18/19 with low pro tires so the over all diameter will stay the same as stock..Looking forward to putting some sticky's on my stockers and autocrossing with you guy's....I'll be buggin ya for tips before i get out there...
With the lower profile tires I don't have much more I can lower it, and I have longer than the standard bolts you get in kits.
Are you going to lower it like Kalanis?
Of course there are ways if there is a will. :)
The 17x11's will fit slammed, you just have to make sure the suspension is tight and your alignment is good.

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you going to lower it like Kalanis?
Yep.I was the one who helped him lower that car,he got the idea from my 89 that was also that low.I also gave him the 17/18 inch zo6 motorsports that were on the car.I think we used 9 inch long bolts in the rear,had to have them cut from threaded rods custom,not even hawaii nut and bolt had grade 8 bolts that long,same for the c5 i had.
Speaking of the old 89,it's the Red car Billy autocrossed for a while,i actually went over and raised it a little for him,it used to be even lower,i have a few tricks to get it real low..

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh Steve,
Just for the record,there was a 5 years gap between the time i sold the car,and Billy bought it,was cherry when i sold it..

·
Registered
12,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The red one Billy autocrossed?
yep...car was almost perfect when i sold it.Heard it was in a field for a few years as the new owner was dying of AIDS.Bill has the story..
And GUNZ has the old c5 i had..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts