Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my carpets this weekend and was wondering if anyone that has done this has any pointers or advice for me before i start. I purchased a carpet kit, looks pretty straight forward.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I am replacing my carpets this weekend and was wondering if anyone that has done this has any pointers or advice for me before i start. I purchased a carpet kit, looks pretty straight forward.
Never replaced it, but had ALL of it out to add sound deadening a few years ago - pretty straight forward.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
never done it in a C5 but have twice in a C4. here are some random thoughts..

First take everything out you can. remove trim pieces in the way --don't try to push around them or under them-- they'll break and you'll get pissed. trust me on this...:thud:

Might also be a good time to by some high quality semi gloss paint and touch up some of the trim pieces.. SEM makes exact match for colors but if it's black the Krylon for plastic works great.. just clean with soap and water and make sure they are cool (not laying inthe sun) before painting.

If you want to put down sound deadening or run wires for anything-- now's the time.

be careful removing the seat belt bolts.. They are easy to cross thread for some reason-- Could just be me..

have a hair dryer--not a heat gun-- handy. it will help mold the rubber backing in some areas. if you haven't opened up the box and laid the carpet out flat, do it now. makes it easier to put in.

Have a vacuum handy-- you'd be suprised at the crap left on the floor pan after you pull it out!

if the holes for the seat bolts aren't in place.. Cut them last after you've shoved the carpeting into all the little nooks and pulled it all the way into the footwells and have it laying flat--
same goes for any cutting in the rear hatch carpet.

always trim it longer than you think you need to at first glance!!!

Look at your seat bolt nuts... if they are nylocs by some new ones before hand-- if you take your seats out often buy the steel compresion lock nuts.

is there any damage to the floor pan around the forward edge of the footwell floor pan? it's visible from underneath.. plan on repairs with some fiberglass mat and resin-- easy to fix and it doesn't have to be pretty cause its covered...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips.:cheers: I just took them out of the box. I am also installing new seats when I do this, I believe all the hardware (seatbolt nuts) is coming with them. I'll post pics when I'm done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts